Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

i have a ibook g4 i purchased from a friend. it keeps popin

Customer Question

i have a ibook g4 i purchased from a friend. it keeps popin up with a screen saying i need to power down or restart my laptop. i looked on youtube and its has to do with my kernals its called a kernal panic. the only problem i s i dont have the disk that comes with the laptop. is there a way i can fix it still without the disk plus it also keeps freezing and crashing while im online.... please help thanks....
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

You're right ! The Screen asking for a restart is the Kernal Panic. This issue is related to the Software or Hardware you have. It generally occurs when you installed something to your Mac (Both Software or hardware). If you have connected any new hardware, like any External drive etc, then try removing them and restart your Mac and see if it works or not..And first we want to make sure this is not a hardware issue, you can follow these steps below :

Uninstall the Software that you last installed :
There is a chance that it may related to software, so try to uninstall the last one or two software that you installed before the problem occured.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Let me know if that didn't worked...