Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
35684427

how do i delete adobe files in pdf form from the recent files

Customer Question

how do i delete adobe files in pdf form from the "recent files" as well as under "spotlight"?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steve :

I think I can help with this...

Steve :

The Spotlight results can be customized. Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences then click on Spotlight.

Steve :

There are 2 tabs there, you want "Search Results".
You can "un-check" any types of results that you do not want to see in the the Spotlight searches. Also, you can drag them around to put the ones you want closer to the top.

Steve :

As for the Recent menu, you can only clear the whole menu. That is located at the bottom of the menu. And in the Appearance section of the System Preferences, you can set how many Applications, Documents and/or Servers you want to appear in the Recent menu.

Steve :

Let me know if you don't understand any directions or need more details. I'll stick with the problem for as long as you need me to.

Steve :

Are you there?

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
I'm still here. I just switched this issue to Q&A. Let me know if you need more info on this question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dear XXXXX:

thank you for your answer...but i still cannot delete the files/documents.

on Spotlight...i cannot seem to delete the pdf file.
if i click on it - it maximizes
i do not just want to move this around...i want it deleted from the system

on the Adobe's tab...
there is no option at the bottom to clear recent history

i need to have these files deleted in the next hour or so...pls. help!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you cannot help me immediately, can someone else help me since I need to get this done ASAP.....thanks!
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
So, your issue is different from how it sounded. You want to delete a particular PDF file from the system? Is this right?

If that is what you are trying to do then when you find the offending file in the Spotlight results, drag the file to the Trash.

Edited by Steve on 10/1/2010 at 2:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
You can drag it to the Trash or select the file and use COMMAND DELETE as a keyboard shortcut.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
As for the Adobe recent menu...which Adobe program are we talking about? Reader?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried the draggin of docuemtn from spotlight...no good.

adobe 7.0
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
In the Spotlight results, select the offending file. The location of the file will be shown at the bottom of the window. Go to that location in the Finder. You'll be able to delete the file there.

In Adobe Reader, Adobe Reader Menu > Preferences. Then click the Documents section. You can tell the program to only display 1 recent file. If it is the offending file. Open a different PDF and that one will replace the 1 recent file in the list.

NOTE**** I'm being called away for an emergency. If you need further help on this issue, you should put in another, new request. The experts online will see it much faster than this older one. I should be back within 2 hours. Thanks for using JustAnswer

Edited by Steve on 10/1/2010 at 3:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont understand at all...
please put in in laman's terms...
when i select the offending file in the spotlight, i am unable to drag it
I do not understandabout the Finder.

right now i temporarily hid it y clicking on the PDF box of the preference in spotlight but if anyone is wonders why the pdfs are not there, it would be easy enough to check that box off again.

as for the adobe...the solution only seems temporary..only 2 dispaly 1 item?
i want the item banished forever..
how can i do that?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
The Finder is the file system on the computer. All the files, folders, pdfs and everything can be found using the Finder.

When you search with Spotlight and click on the one you are interested in the file's location will show at the bottom of the window. It will show all the folders so you can follow them like a map or path.

See this image to see what I'm talking about:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

At the bottom yo can see that file I selected is in my home folder (sgand), then in TeachTech folder, then in Customer Stuff folder, then in Google folder. You can find any folder like that by starting with your home folder.

First, click on the blue face in your Macintosh Dock.
Go to the Go Menu > Home
A window will open showing all the folders in your home folder, then you can open the ones shown in your Spotlight window.

IN the Adobe programs the recent items list is just a list, not the real things. So, as you view other PDFs the older ones will disappear on their own. Open more PDFs and you will see the list change. Getting the real file to the trash as described above is the way to "banish" it forever.

Edited by Steve on 10/1/2010 at 5:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is a "blue face" and what is the "Macintosh Dock"
i clicked on the finder button but do not get a "Go Menu"

I haven't tried the "spotlight" suggestion...but now everyone is around. and it may be difficult for me 2 try your exercise until tomorrow evening.

please explain the "blue face and "mac doc"...sorry...not very familiar with the tech terms..
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
See this image from my Macintosh screen:

Register Here

It shows a part of the Dock. The Dock is the strip of little pictures. The pictures are called icons. You click to start programs. The Blue face is the Finder, it is the file system on the computer where all the folders, files, PDFs etc. are stored. If you click the blue face you will enter the Finder program. You should see the Go menu when you do that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok..thanks..but when i clicked on the blue face..i do not see anything that says "go menu",

my list of items are:
Applications
Data
Developer
Library
Microsoft Office 2004
System
User Guide...formation
Users
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Menus are always at the top of the screen on Macintosh computers. See this image:

Register Here

In this image:
I clicked the blue face, activating the Finder.
Went to the upper left corner of the screen.
Clicked on the Go menu.
I circled the Home choice. To find folders and files, start at the Home folder usually.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok..according to your attachment, my tool bar does not give me the option of "Go".
it has the "file" "Edit" "view" history" "bookmarks" "tools" window" and "help"
but no "Go"
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
The menu bar changes depending upon what program is currently active. What you describe is the menus for Firefox, your web browser.

Click the blue face, then look at the menubar before clicking anything else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
got it..but after i click on the go button, I dont see any pdf files
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
OK, so we'll go back to finding the PDF file you want to get rid of...

Click the Go Menu, move down to the Home choice and click. This will open a window showing your Home folder. From there you can find any PDF that is on your computer. But you'll need to know where to look. That is where Spotlight comes in. You can find it in Spotlight. Do so, then look at the bottom of the Spotlight window. It will show you the folders you need to open to find the PDF.

This image shows the bottom of a Spotlight window on my Mac as an example:

Register Here

In this image, you can see that I would have to open my home folder, then the TeachTech folder, then the Customer stuff folder, then the Google folder. Then I should find the PDF I was searching for. That will be the real PDF I want to get rid of...That can be dragged to the Trash.

Yours will show a different "path" to follow to get to the PDF you want to delete.

Edited by Steve on 10/1/2010 at 7:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'm still having a very difficult time...i think i will give it a rest for now since i have not slept in 2 days and hoefully get back with you later.

my pop-up options dont look like your attachments and i dont understand when you mention "the bottom of the spotlight window".

the bottom of my spotlight is "special preference" that is where i clicked on teh box to remove the"x" from PDF so it will not show, but i'm sure they can turn it back on easliy.

i also changed the doc name, but when i type in the first 2 letters of the orginal doc name it shows a hot choice.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
To see the bottom of the Spotlight window, choose the "Show All" choice at the top. See this image:

Register Here

Not sure what you are saying here, but you may need to search on the new name.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Called off to another emergency. I'll check back in around 5pm mountain time.