Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

With my 17 MacBook Pro, is there a built-in way (or even an

With my 17" MacBook Pro, is there a built-in way (or even an accessory I can purchase) to use to record a voice then upload it on a web-site? The reason I ask is that my daughter is taking an on-line French course, and part of the requirement is for her to submit recordings of her voice with some of the lessons. But the on-line course hasn't been particularly helpful in suggesting what equipment to use or what type of file to submit. I assume she'd need to create an mp3 file, but I'm just not certain about the easiest or best way to go about that.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Kyle Brockman :

Hello, I can help you with this. GarageBand is the software you will want to use. About how old is the computer?

JACUSTOMER-8g0fenyc- :

It's about 3 years old (or maybe slightly less). I have GarageBand and have just started experimenting with it - just not sure yet of the best way to use it. Plus, I wasn't even sure it that was the best way to go.

JACUSTOMER-8g0fenyc- :

I'm trying out GarageBand now, but I'm not sure how to actually record a voice! (And advice on this - perhaps I can download a manual otherwise.)

Kyle Brockman :

OK, I would suggest using a program called audacity. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ This is a free simple audio recorder and editor. This should get the job for you without all the extra things in garageband.

JACUSTOMER-8g0fenyc- :

I tried out Audacity but had trouble saving the file correctly. So I decided to go back and give GarageBand another try, and now I'm having success! I'm using the podcast feature, then by clicking on "share" it saves the files as an MP3 into my I-Tunes folder. So then I can email it or upload it to the website. Thanks for your help!

JACUSTOMER-8g0fenyc- :

I tried out Audacity, but had trouble saving the file correctly. So I decided to go back and try out GarageBand again - and now I'm having success! By using the podcast feature then clicking "share" it gives me the option to save the file as an MP3 in my I-Tunes folder. So then I can email it or upload it to the website later. Thanks for your help!