Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.

I was on the Internet through my MacBook when I received a

I was on the Internet through my MacBook when I received a message that looked legit saying my computer was infected and I needed to install anti virus programs. I did so, the computer identified programs that were infected and used the term "trojans". Then I noticed that there were mispellings in the message, and I think it was not a legitimate message. I am not sure if I installed these alleged antivirus programs. What should I do now? Thanks, XXXXX [email protected]

Also, if I go to the Finder, and then go to Search for Today, there are several "antivirus installer" or install antivirus 201" listed. I don't know if that means I successfully installed the antivirus software, which I maybe shouldn't have installed. That is the question I guess

Should I try this later, or continue to wait?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Kyle Brockman :

Hello, I would be glad to try and help you.

Kyle Brockman :

Do you still have a link to the software you installed?

JACUSTOMER-dsrtbmpp- :

OK, I am here. I should tell you right off the bat that I am a 57 year old guy with weak technical skills. This is my first macbook. I think that i do have the link to the software I installed

Sure thing, If you can post the link here it would help me figure out what needs to be done.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I went to history and I got the message that I received (not the link) and wrote it down for you. THen I could not get out. The message said "http:1168.9.XXX-XX-XXXX6. Warning your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware. Antivirus2010 can perform a quick check..."
ok, the link didn't come in right. Now did you download any files? And did you have to install them? Also did you have to use your computer username and password XXXXX install it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. I am not sure if I downloaded files but I did hit "install" button for these alleged antivirus programs . I did not have to use my username and password XXXXX install.
Ok, that is good. Sounds like it was just a web trick. If you were running a PC you would have gotten some stuff. On the mac nothing will install without your username and password. At this point I would say your save and everything is fine. From this point on don't open anything from anyone you don't know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to ask one more question and then I will leave you alone. Are there any inherent anti virus programs on my McBook? If so, will they send me alerts and how will I know that they are legitimate?
Thanks again for your patience-
Sure thing, you can get norton for the mac, or mcafee. But I like clamXav, it's a open source mac anti-virus. But on the mac your really don't need an anti-virus, as long as you keep your mac up to date, you will be fine.