Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I have trouble scanning from my Brother MFC-6490CW to my

Hi, I have trouble scanning from my Brother MFC-6490CW to my Mac-mini. I am guessing that the printer isn't really "talking" to the computer (hard wire connection) or at least, my computer isn't checking. When I try to scan directly from the MFC-6490CW, it keeps searching to connect with the PC; and when I try to scan via the systems preferences menu (open scanner), I get the message: "no scanner selected". It has worked before, but it also has had this problem before (e.g. it worked yesterday, it doesn't work today). What am I doing wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Have you did any software update prior to this problem ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

That is not impossible - these things happen automatically and I do not always take note.

Anneke
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Anneke,
Sorry for delay..Connect your device to a different USB port on your Mac.
  • Open Preview Application, In the File Menu, select the Import Image. The scanner should activate and let you to scan
  • You can also use Mac's Image Capture application to scan images : More Info
Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

In which program do I have to be to open this File menu? There is no "File" in the systems preferences and I cannot find the Import Image command anywhere else.

Thanks for your patience,
Anneke
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
In Preview application...Preview is app that you use to view your Pictures normally. You can open it from Applications folder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

Yes, I was able to scan several documents, but it turned out to be a laborious process. When there was more than a minute or so between scanning one set of pages and the next, I could not scan again; it just seemed to lock up. I was forced to close the program and start all over again - in fact, then it would not even let me select a "Import" via the Preview program, unless I would open the scanner first in the "system preferences" program (and as usual find the same old message: "no scanner selected"). After leaving that open, I could select "Import" via the Preview program and open a duplicate scanner window that lets me scan.

In summation, I was relieved to be able to scan my tax documents, but I still think that there must be a less laborious way. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Anneke
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Anneke,
Have you tried Image Catpure ? You can use that application too to scan. Let me know..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

That must be from a a different program - there is no "Image capture" on Preview. Please tell me where to find that command.

By the way Ashik, I am located in Europe and it's getting late for me. I am off for the evening, but I will look at your answer first thing in the morning.

Cheers,
Anneke
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Yes, Image Capture is a different program. You can find it on Applications > Utilities folder.

Sure, we can continue tomorrow...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

Sorry, your boss is getting anxious but there were other priorities that kept me away from my computer. Meanwhile I have checked your suggestion (I found Image Capture directly under Applications) and it seems to work OK, although it didn't find the scanner right away (I think the scanner was "asleep").

Listen I signed up for a whole month of technical assistance; if I should need more help, any chance I could ask for you specifically? You've done a good job with me.

Cheers,
Anneke .
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Anneke,
Glad you got it working again. If you like my service, please click Accept button, so that i'll get credit for helping you . Also, if you want to ask me directly, just goto this link : www.askashik.info

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ashik,

It was a solution of short duration because now - when using Image Capture - I get a message of "trying to open scanner session" and after about 1 minute: "failed to open a session on the device".

What could be done to get around this (resp. what caused this & can be done to prevent it from happening again).

Cheers,
Anneke
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Anneke,
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?