John P
John P, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  13+ Years of Exp, Mac and Apple Enthusiast

My iphone seems to have completely locked up during a routine

My iphone seems to have completely locked up during a routine synch to my desktop. Resetting it does not seem to help, as it just locks up again (the progress bar moves a little bit, then gets stuck again) while trying to restore itself. Anything you can do to help me? I'm traveling tomorrow and need my phone! My iphone number is XXXXX

Many thanks,
Doris Engibous XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX home
Category: Mac
Expert:  John P replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
John P :

Doris, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you.

John P :

Have you recently synced your iPhone with iTunes so you can recover your data in case we need to restore it?

John P :

I will type the steps to use while I wait for your to respond.1. Hold down power AND home (the round button) until the phone turns off completely. Keep holding the buttons.
2. Once you’re in a reboot cycle, let go of power. Hold home down for two minutes.
3. Your iPhone may freeze showing a blank screen. Do not panic. Connect it to your Mac or PC and see if iTunes detects it in restore mode. If it does, restore it to a previous state..
4. If this fails, disconnect from iTunes and repeat these steps. Do not lose patience. Sometimes it may take 4 or 5 tries to be successful..

Customer :

Hi John. Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I recently synched so think I'm OK with my data on my desktop. I had just competed a software upgrade that I think required the phone to be restored to its factory settings. Then I think it went into what I thought was supposed to be a routine synch, and that's when it got stuck. i waited almost an hour, then disconnected my phone from the desktop and tried to restart the phone but it keeps getting stuck trying to restart. Make sense? I'm obviously not a sophisticated user. Doris

John P :

no worries, please follow the steps I mentioned above. If it doesn't work after 3-4 tries, let me know.

John P :

We'll try something else, but that is the first step.

John P :

How is it coming along, Doris?

Customer :

I think it worked just like you said. Will confirm it can synch again to get my data back.

Customer :

it went through a quick restore data cycle and is now synching. keeping my fingers crossed...

John P :

Awesome.

John P :

I hope it holds out.

John P :

I'd cry if I lost all the data on my iPhone.

Customer :

about 3/4 of the way through per the progress bar. it got stuck at 90% through before...

John P :

I think you are going to be alright. I've got a positive feeling.

Customer :

i fear it's stuck again in about the same place as last time, maybe 85% complete on the progress bar. no visible movement in the last few minutes. rats. what now?

Customer :

wait a sec...screen just flashed black and now is showing the apple again.

John P :

yes, be patient, I think you are okay

John P :

It's slow to resync and restore.

John P :

If not, there's a few other things we can try.

Customer :

now i've got another progress bar under the apple icon, about 20% complete so think you're right...awesome

John P :

Nice, keep me posted.

Customer :

it's so sloooow, but I'm trying to be patient, thanks for the reassurance, it's about 80% complete on the bar

John P :

Okay. It could be worse, you could have an analog modem and a super slow dial-up connection to the internet.

John P :

:)

Customer :

i'm still nervous. it looks like it's stuck again in the same 90% complete position as before. how long do we wait?

John P :

another 10 minutes or so.

John P :

Here's a question, how full was your iPhone before the sync issue?

John P :

Are you syncing a bunch of music, etc?

Customer :

p.s. the itunes status bar says it's finishing synch

John P :

Could be that your iPhone is too full...

Customer :

not full at all. i'm not a power user. no video, songs and only a few photos, only email, calendar and contacts, so I think I was only at 10% capacity. does that make sense?

John P :

sure does

John P :

That actually makes this easier.

John P :

You haven't recently dropped the iPhone have you?

John P :

Also, what model is it?

John P :

3G, 3GS, 4G?

Customer :

no dropsy, thankfully. 3G. I just hadn't synched it in a couple weeks as I'm trying to convert from a pc to a mac. had just connected it to the mac for the first time when this all happened after it completed the software upgrade.

John P :

Ah, that makes sense.

John P :

Any change on the iPhone status bar?

Customer :

no, unfortunately. it seems to be stalled out in still in the same 90% place as last time on the progress bar. that's when I disconnected it after waiting a lot longer than 10 minutes, I'm pretty sure...

John P :

Are you still on your Mac?

John P :

or are you syncing to the Windows computer?

Customer :

yes on the mac. i was hoping I'd left the windows pc behind me for good.

John P :

Okay, so let's do this while we wait.

John P :

Is it still stalling?

Customer :

yes, stalled out in the same spot as last time.

John P :

Open iSync, it's in your Applications folder. With iSync open, from the Menu click iSync/Preferences.
At the bottom of the window click the button: Reset iSync History And, make sure all 4 buttons are checked on that window. Quit iSync.

John P :

Have you done that?

John P :

Once you have, disconnect your iPhone. After you do that, I need you to restart your Mac and reboot your iPhone per my first post.

John P :

1. Hold down power AND home (the round button) until the phone turns off completely. Keep holding the buttons.

John P :

Did you bookmark this page in Safari so you can return here?

John P :

Also, what version of iTunes are you using?

Customer :

i can't seem to open isynch. i feel really stupid. i got a small box to open up with a snch devices icon on the right side but that's it.

Customer :

i think I bookmarked but not something I routinely do

John P :

Okay. The iPhone is still frozen?

Customer :

yes, still frozen

John P :

Okay before we do anything else, I need you to repair permissions

John P :

There could be an issue with corruption on one of the files the iPhone is trying to read.

John P :

Do you know how to do that?

John P :
  • To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

• In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

• Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.
  • Customer :

negative. and i just noticed a box with an error message that said it could not syncg ino to the iphone because another synch session was already running

John P :

Okay, that makes sense.

John P :

Don't worry about it at the moment.

John P :

Run the Repair Disk Permissions first.

Customer :

screen just went blank before I could do the utilities thing. i've got another apple in the center of the screen

John P :

let's see what happens now.

John P :

Run the Disk Permissions now if you can

John P :

You don't run it on the iPhone, you run it on your Mac harddrive

Customer :

now a new progress bar with some movement. i also keep getting a message about it wanting to import 4 photos, which is about all I have. previously it said it wanted to import 40 photos.

John P :

Okay.

Customer :

ok i'll try the disk permissions on the mac. don't think i can do anything on the phone yet anyway.

John P :

ok

Customer :

john p, what is my start up disk?

John P :

What do you see on the left hand side?

Customer :

it doesn't give me an option called startup disk.

John P :

Macintosh HD is the default

John P :

most of the time

John P :

it's your hard drive name, many people have external drives and more than one drive

Customer :

one says 232.9 GB WDC etc

Customer :

the other says 298.1 GB WD and the other MATSHITA DVD

Customer :

phone screen just went back again, new apple icon, no progress bar yet. the last progress bar never moved past 10%

Customer :

should I click the mac HD?

John P :

yes please

Customer :

i've got the same itunes cannot synch to the iphone message because another synch session is running. and the same ready to import photos screen is not up again.

John P :

I understand. run Repair Disk Permissions first. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Customer :

repairing permissions in process. message now appears saying iphone detected but cold not be properly identified, please disconnect and reconnect iphone then try again. what should i do?

John P :

It may take awhile.

John P :

Disconnect it

John P :

let repair permissions run.

John P :

Then restart as I posted earlier, and use the same steps to get your iPhone to restore mode as mentioned before.

Customer :

how long is awhile? i'm old and it's getting late in minnesota and i have an early flight in the am. i'll hang in as long as i need to tho.

John P :

Then try to resync again.

John P :

Depends on how many files you have and how quickly the Mac processes it. It can take an hour or less. It's all variable

John P :

I have to get up for work tomorrow as well. It's almost 11PM here, and I get up at 4:30. Fun stuff, hopefully we resolve this soon.

Customer :

ok, you've got me beat. permissions repair complete! awesome. i will try to resynch again now, ok?

John P :

Is the iPhone still disconnecteD?

Customer :

itunes is detecting the phone but not in restore mode i don't think. the phone screen shows an apple icon and progress bar again tho. but the progress bar seems to be stuck in the same 5% spot as before

Customer :

should i push the synch button or reboot again?

Customer :

i take that back, there's no synch button

Customer :

what are u thinking?

John P :

I would disconnect the iphone

John P :

reboot the mac

John P :

launch iSync and reset the iSync history

Customer :

won't I lose u if I reboot the mac?

John P :

then try one more time with the intial steps I posted.

Customer :

i do not know how to launch isynch john. i do not get the menu screen you mentioned before. i also don't know how to find what version itunes i have per your earlier question.

John P :

Have you ran Software Update recently?

John P :

from the Apple Menu?

Customer :

yes, yesterday

Customer :

i don't get the menu screen when I double click on isync only the same small box that says isync on the top with a synch icon on the right side of the box

Customer :

my phone is still doing something, flashed again after going blank and now has the apple and progress bar stuck at 5%

John P :

Then, just restart the Mac, and try to resync the iPhone.

John P :

we'll hope that a disk permission was the error.

John P :

John P :

John P :

John P :

John P :

John P :

Customer :

won't i lose u if i restart the mac?

John P :

You can return here through a link in your email or your bookmark

Customer :

ok thx

John P :

No problem.

John P :

I'll be here, I'm determined to get this working

Customer :

i'm back. so happy to see u again john. just reconnecting the phone now. synching now but not from restore. got the same photo import message.

Customer :

progress bar seems to stuck on 5% again...

John P :

okay

John P :

photo import issue huh?

John P :

Is iTunes open?

John P :

Do you see your iPhone in the left hand pane?

Customer :

i only suspect a photo import issue because I keep getting that same message. happy to delete the photos from the phone if that helps. yes, i tunes is open and yes I see the phone on the left hand pane. itunes still says finishing synch 2 of 2 steps. phone went blank again and now I have a new apple and a new 5% stalled progress bar and also got the photo import message again!

John P :

change the sync options on the iPhone from the iTunes application to not sync photos

John P :

see if that helps

Customer :

also got another message saying itunes could not synch to iphone because another synch session is already runnning

Customer :

ok but how do I change the synch options? i told you I was a loser user

John P :

If the iphone is showing up on the left hand side of Itunes, you click on it

John P :

go to the photos menu item below the center of the sync message

John P :

and unselect Sync Photos

John P :

Fairly straight forward.

Customer :

ok i'm plugging the phone back in again

John P :

okay

John P :

let's see what happens

Customer :

i see the photo icon below the synch message but it won't let me go there. there's a round icon with a multi colored wheel turning that's preventing me from clicking on it. what now?

Customer :

it won't even let me click out of itunes

John P :

okay, and you have rebooted your mac earlier right?

Customer :

i must have done something wrong to screw it up. how do i stop that wheel? yes, rebooted the mac.

Customer :

ok, wheel stopped. reconnecting phone. did not need to unselect photos. already unselected. what now?

John P :

okay, then the problem maybe on your photos in your iPhone if any

John P :

Although those should have been deleted

John P :

with the restore.

Customer :

do you want me to try to sync with restore option again? the colored wheel is stopping me from doing anything again.

John P :

yes

John P :

I'd reboot the iPhone first using the keys I posted earlier

John P :

Couldn't hurt

Customer :

how do I get the wheel to stop? just keep waiting?

John P :

Sometimes takes doing that a few times and connecting

John P :

Unplug the iPhone for now, and reset it again as I posted earlier

John P :

John P :

I've had to do this 4 or 5 times to get it to even sync

Customer :

ok i'm restoring again with itunes

John P :

I hope it works this time, otherwise we are running out of options. You may need to try to sync it to your Windows computer if you still have it available.

Customer :

got that photo import message again too

John P :

that's not good

John P :

press command-option-escape

John P :

at the same time

John P :

it brings up the ForceQuit application

John P :

select iSync and kill it

John P :

then try to sync again with iTunes

John P :

maybe a sync conflict

Customer :

my pc itunes got screwed up and wouldn't recognize either my iphone or ipad anymore, that's when I decided to switch to the mac desktop we have at home (not mine). the ipad seemed to sync just fine earlier this evening. why not the iphone?

John P :

could be hardware failure. Honestly, at this point, we've done almost everything I would have tried aside from manually flashing the iPhone, but that can ruin it completely, so I didn't want to go that route if we didn't have to

Customer :

it still says it's restoring the iphone with movement on the bar. do you still want me to kill it??

John P :

let it go a bit more

Customer :

in restoring iphone firmware spot

John P :

If that doesn't work, go to this website: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

John P :

halfway down the page, select the iPhone 3G (4.1/8B117) download

John P :

and download the file

Customer :

do you want me to go to forcequit application now or the new website or wait a bit more?

John P :

wait a bit more first see what it does

John P :

if it doesn't do anything, then you need to download that file

John P :

and then option-click the restore or update button in iTunes and select the file you download

John P :

it's 308MB so it may take awhile

John P :

that's the factory firmware.

John P :

it's a last resort

John P :

then you can resync after the iPhone is working

Customer :

do you want me to do the forcequit thing first?

John P :

yes, but only after you get tired of waiting

John P :

If the factory firmware and the sync doesn't solve the issue, then the iPhone has a hardware fault or needs to be reflashed by Apple

Customer :

this is weird. it just completed the progress bar instead of getting stalled at 90% this time. then it went blank again and says the phone is activated again

John P :

that's all that's left after that

John P :

fantastic

John P :

the phone is activated

John P :

that's what you want to see

John P :

do you see a display on the iPhone?

John P :

you should actually see a new sync message on the iPhone after it shows the phone as activated

John P :

if you have it set to sync

Customer :

factory default display on photo. no photos on phone or apps anymore like you said. what's the next step now? i'm too tired to remember.

John P :

can you see your iPhone on the left pane of itunes now?

John P :

select it and you should be able to choose sync as an option

John P :

it should restore your files from the last sync point

Customer :

where would I see the sync message on the phone? how do I set it to sync? and yes, itunes recognizes the phone but not with my name on it

John P :

Unplug the phone and reconnect it.

John P :

You should have sync setup to run when connected.

Customer :

itunes isn't giving me a sync option. it is only asking if i want to set up the phone as a new phone or restore from the back up. is that what you mean by sync?

Customer :

just reconnected phone now will see what i can get

John P :

you can choose restore from the backup if it prompts you again.

John P :

but don't choose the generic restore button in iTunes, that just loads firmware.

Customer :

restoring iphone from backup. is this a good sign?

John P :

yes

John P :

wow, I think we are almost done

John P :

almost 3 hours. :)

Customer :

apple on phone screen again. progress bar moving slowly but just got the photo import message again...augh

John P :

you've got to be kidding me. Something is wrong with your restore data then.

Customer :

sorry john. looks like it's stalled on 5% progress again. and another error message saying itunes couldn't synch iphone because of another sync session. also getting that colored wheel on the itunes screen again...

John P :

try this:

• From the Finder, choose Home from the Go menu.

• Once there, open the Pictures folder and locate the iPhoto Library file.

• Control-click the iPhoto Library file and choose Show Package Contents from the shortcut menu.

• In the iPhoto Library window, locate the iPod Photo Cache folder and drag it to the Trash.

• Close the iPhoto Library window.
  • John P :

I think this will solve the photo import error

John P :

which is probably causing us all the problems.

John P :

want to give that a shot, disconnect the iPhone and try the sync process again?

Customer :

i got to the iphoto library file but did not see show package contents with control click. i'll try again

Customer :

nope, can't find show package contents. am i an idiot?

John P :

it may appear on the menu when you select the iphoto library file

Customer :

got it, thanks. ok starting again.

John P :

okay, 15th times a charm

John P :

:)

Customer :

so glad you're still with me and haven't lost your sense of humor. sorry to cost u your sleep. 430am is an early call. xxoo

John P :

I'm driving 3 hours each way to visit a client. Good thing I have a thermos with coffee in it ready for the morning

John P :

You need your phone tomorrow and I'm going to do everything I can think of to get it working for you.

Customer :

and you're much younger than i am, that's a good thing too. ok just reconnected phone.

John P :

great, I've got my fingers crossed.

John P :

If it makes you feel any better, I feel extremely aged most of the time.

John P :

:)

Customer :

that made me smile but then i got the same photo import message and the same error message about itunes not being able to sych iphone

Customer :

itunes says it's syncing but progress bar on phone looks like it's stalled at 5% again. should we try forcequit or are we done?

John P :

wow.

John P :

I hate to say this, but I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Customer :

wow meaning I'm hosed?

John P :

I'd recommend taking it to an Apple store or AT&T or hitting it with a bat (sorry just a bit of humor)

John P :

Almost seems like there is a hardware issue with the Phone.

Customer :

do I go to the nearest apple store when I get off the plane or do I need someone to visit me at home?

John P :

Do you want me to opt-out so another expert can assist you?

John P :

You can take it to the nearest apple store

John P :

If it's too expensive to fix, look to see if you qualify for an upgrade from AT&T first

John P :

Apple is very pricey in fixing their phones

Customer :

sorry, just saw your answer. thanks for the bit o humor. i'm ok trying another expert if you think it's worth the time.

John P :

It wouldn't hurt to try. If no one answers though, assume it is a lost cause and either research an upgrade or take it to an Apple store.

John P :

I'll Opt-Out now. Maybe I can solve your next problem. Either way, enjoy your trip.

Customer :

how can I get the use of my phone back? even if it's not synched with any contacts or calendar, i can use my ipad for that. but i sure would like to be able to use it for phone calls.

Customer :

do I call in again or just wait on this same ja ?screen

John P :

Wait on this screen. It will open back up. You need to reset the phone again back to before and get the activation message again. It's going to be tricky.

Customer :

many thanks john p. you were terrific.

Customer :

r u back?

John P, Computer Hardware Engineer
    Experience: 13+ Years of Exp, Mac and Apple Enthusiast
    Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
    Hello, my name is Dan.
    I will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
    I agree with John, it sounds like a hardware issue and should be taken to the Apple store, they can diagnose it better about this. I would also print this out and take with you to show what has been done so far.
    I can add nothing new to what has been tried, sorry. So I am posting as an information request instead of an answer, please, there is no need to reply.