John P
John P, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  13+ Years of Exp, Mac and Apple Enthusiast
23766825

Where does MS Entourage keep email inbox and sent folder contents

Customer Question

Where does MS Entourage keep email inbox and sent folder contents? I am restoring lost emails from a backup on an external drive and I need to be able to find where these are.
MAC OS 10.6.4
Category: Mac
Expert:  John P replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
John P :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you.

John P :

Please let me know when you are ready.

John P :

I need to know what version of Entourage you are using as well please.

John P :

If you are using Entourage 2008, the folder structure is as follows: Hard Disk Name/Users/user_name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity

John P :

In the future, it is easier to use the Export feature in the menu of Entourage to backup the emails, identity, etc... Then you can use the Import feature from the menu to restore.

Customer :

i'd like you to help me with this please.

Customer :

How do i reset my main identity back to before everything was erased? are those emails still on my hard drive?

John P :

Do you have a timemachine backup?

Customer :

yes - but only at 5-25-10

John P :

ouch, well that's about as good as it gets, if the files were deleted.

John P :

I wish there was a magical way to restore it outside of importing an archive.

John P :

Did you make a recent export to another location on the hard drive or external drive?

Customer :

what happened was our exchange server account was de-activated. When it was reactivated i put in the new pw and username and it wiped out my emails on my client - can i get these bck if i reset my identity back to last week?

John P :

So you didn't delete the main identity, you just made a new one or did you change your identify information on the main identity?

Customer :

i did nothing on main identity as far as i know.

John P :

okay, give me a moment.

John P :

And you are using Entourage 2008 or 2004?

Customer :

2008

John P :

From the Entourage menu, top left of Entourage, select switch identity, do you see your old one there?

John P :

Or do you see more than one?

John P :

Main and something else?

Customer :

its telling me i have to quit all programs and restart to see

John P :

Typical Microsoft. lol

John P :

Sorry for the joke, I thought it would lighten your mood a bit. I know how frustrating this is.

Customer :

i have 2 accounts - business and personal . personal is fine. i don't want to mess it up any further.

John P :

Did you ask your Exchange admin if they transferred your data from your old account to your new one?

John P :

If they did, you can trash the database and Entourage will download all of the emails from the Exchange store. If they didn't they need to do that.

John P :

My feeling is that this isn't specifically an Entourage issue and more like an Exchange issue.

Customer :

i agree. probably an exchange issue - I will email this exchange to the admin and ask him.

John P :

Please do. My guess is that since you were assigned a new username and password, that they didn't transfer the old exchange mailbox contents to your new AD mailbox.

John P :

Anything else I can answer while I am here?

Customer :

can i keep this open while i go through that? how do i get you back again later - maybe tomorrow?

Customer :

oh - its my old user name - only the pw was new

John P :

Oh, well then that's no good, give me a second.

Customer :

if all is lost how do I get the folders on my time machine backup from 5/25 back into entourage?

John P :

I would type it all out, but here's a good link I refer customers to: http://www.ehow.com/how_6073479_restore-after-time-machine-backup.html

Customer :

thank you!

Customer :

will it allow me to bring in ONLY my business data and NOT my personal. I am concerned it just takes everything back to 5/25 inlcuding my personal which will be a disaster.

John P :

You are welcome. The problem is that although you have a business and personal folder in your Entourage client, you probably only have one main identity.

John P :

Did you see any other identities when you did the select identity listed above?

Customer :

no - switch identities just gives me that scary message about shutting everything down

John P :

Okay, can you browse to this folder? Hard Disk Name/Users/user_name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/

John P :

tell me how many identity folders you see in there please?

Customer :

there are 4

John P :

Great, please tell me the names of the folders

Customer :

Main Identity (dated 9/25/2009)

Customer :

Main ID (Backup ) dated 7/13/09

Customer :

Main ID 1 Dated 9/17/09 (this is the one that wiped out the records)

Customer :

Main Id backup - dated march 19 2010

John P :

Give me a second.

John P :

Let me ask you first, are you missing any data from your personal email right now?

Customer :

no

John P :

Do me a favor, let's keep this question open, and check with your Exchange administrator to ensure that your mailbox data wasn't deleted when he changed the password.

John P :

I don't want to take any undue risks

Customer :

ok - i'll do that.

Customer :

how do i get back to you?

John P :

Okay, save this URL to your bookmarks

John P :

Also, there will be a link in your email somewhere (no pun intended.)

John P :

Just post back here tomorrow when you are online and available. I work my day job until 6PM EST though.

Customer :

thanks i'll look for you after 6 pm then.

Customer :

thanks again

John P :

anytime, we'll get to the bottom of this.

John P :

I'll run some tests tonight too with changing my exchange password XXXXX seeing what happens.

Customer :

ok - thanks for that. i hope to wrap it up tomorrow with you and give you a good rating

Customer :

regards