John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

Cannot open excel file -File might have been damaged or modified

"Cannot open excel file -File might have been damaged or modified from its original format" I have gotten this message a few times; now on my excel document that contains my most important info. Please help

Hi Debbie,

If you could send me the file I will be happy to try to recover it for you. Would you like to do that?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its very confidential info
Where do I send it to
Also can you tell me what I did wrong to loose the file

Ok, go to and upload the file there. You will then get a page that has the Download Link and the Delete Link. Copy both the Download and the Delete Link and come back here and paste them in your reply.

The Delete Link will allow me to delete the file from that website as soon as I have downloaded it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please verify that I did not send info several times

Got the file, and I deleted it from that website.

Ok I can recover most if not all of the data, which appears to be on 11 sheets as shown in the screenshot below, but I cannot tell you what may have caused the corruption nor how to prevent it. If this is ok please confirm by clicking the accept button so I can send you the repaired file

Please download the repaired file from this download link

(the download link is at the bottom of the page)

As soon as you have downloaded the file please use the following link to delete it from that website

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you verify that I deleted everything?
Can you give me any advise to avoid or fix future problems

I have checked both links and I can confirm that both files have been deleted from the website.

There is really no particular advice to avoid corruption. It basically depends on the data structure in the file and on how much resources you have available when working on that file. But as a general rule avoid working on too many open files at the same time, or when other applications are running, and make sure you always save a copy of the file you're working on, and save it frequently.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Same thing happened again- damaged file

It's been almost a month since we worked on this. I do not have the files anymore nor do I remember the issue (I work on hundred of files ever week)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where and how do I attach the file?

Please open a new question as this one has expired