Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Experience:  Mac/iOS Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
40218039

When attempting to download ITunes, I get a .......itunes setup

Customer Question

When attempting to download ITunes, I get a .......itunes setup [1].exe is not a valid win32 application. How do I slove this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Joseph :

Hello

Joseph :

I will try to help you.

Joseph :

Are you downloading the software for XP ?

Joseph :

Is your XP a 64 bit one or 32 bit one ?

Joseph :

Do you have iTunes installed on your computer before ?

Customer :

Hi Joseph

Customer :

Yes, it is windows XP Pro, version 2002, service pack 2. How do I find out if it is a 64 or 32 bit one?

Customer :

Hi

Joseph :

Right click my computer

Customer :

Hi

Joseph :

And select properties

Joseph :

Then you can see whether its a 32 bit one or 64 bit one.

Customer :

There are 7 tabs, under which tab will I look to find the bits out?

Joseph :

Is there a general tab

Customer :

Yes, the general tab says "system", registered to and computer. Should I give you the details of the processor?

Joseph :

yea

Customer :

Intel(R) core, (TM) 2duo E6550 @ 2.33Ghz 2.33Ghz, 1.95 Gb of ram

Joseph :

ok

Customer :

Can you manage to establish what bit it is by this info?

Joseph :

Actually no

Joseph :

give me a minute

Joseph :

I will tell you how to check it

Customer :

cool

Joseph :

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:

• For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.

• For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version<Year> appears under System.

Note <Year> is a placeholder for a year.

Method 2: View System Information window

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.

3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor underItem in the details pane. Note the value.

• If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.

• If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Customer :

It says "X86 family 6 model 15 stepping 11....." so it menas 32 bit version?

Joseph :

ok

Joseph :

Go to that link and download the 32 bit version iTunes

Joseph :

Customer :

that's it, problem solved?

Joseph :

download it and install...

Customer :

The link just says "download", it does not give you options of the 32 or 64 bit versions or am I missing something?

Joseph :

in the leftside

Joseph :

top you will have 2 options

Joseph :

default will be 32 bit

Joseph :

So just download

Joseph :

Don't forget to click the ACCEPT button so I get paid for my work.

Customer :

Not sure what I am missing, but if I just hit the "download now" box, it still gives me that message....

Joseph :

Go to ADD remove programs and check whether you have

Joseph :

Itunes installed

Joseph :

If yes remove it

Joseph :

You can use the same link from another computer and download itunes.

Joseph :

Copy the downloaded file in pendrive and install on the correct computer.

Joseph :

Do you have any Antivirus program running ?

Customer :

No Itunes installed - just checked. Anti virus - avast. Do not have access to any other computer.

Joseph :

ok turn off Avast and try download

Customer :

Stupid question, how do I turn avast off?

Joseph :

one ,

Joseph :

one minute

Joseph :

Avast will show on the right of the taskbar, just right click the avast icon and shut it down.

Customer :

AVast shut down. When I choose to download, the following happens - (i) System says "do you want to run or save" - I choose to run. (ii) System says "internet explore security warning - the publisher could not be verified, are you sure you want to run this software, I say run and then (iii) I get that .....not a valid win 32 application!!!

Joseph :

use Save

Joseph :

Save it and install

Customer :

Will try quickly

Joseph :

ok

Customer :

Saved it on desktop as "ItunesSetup.exe". When attempting to open by double click, I only get the option to "run", when I do this the same f$%king message appears!!

Joseph :

Right click and see whether there is option for Run as admin ?

Joseph :

Which operatung system are you using ?

Customer :

I have tried to run it as administrator but still get the message "itunes setup.exe is not a valid win32 application". I run Windows XP Pro version 2002

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Please try this download link (http://www.filehippo.com/download_itunes_32/).

When prompted to Run or Save, select Save. Select your Desktop location as the destination.

After it completes, go to your Desktop, double click the iTunesSetup.

Update me on the results.