Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

I am having trouble with my itunes...I am no longer able to

I am having trouble with my itunes...I am no longer able to sync my music to my iPod. I updated my Itunes and I also bought snow leopard and installed it. Nothing changed. At first I thought it was because my old nano was too corrupt - multiple problems and i was going to get a new one anyway, but I decided to try downloading to my son's ipod which was practically new and had no problems ever - and NOTHING. His ipod actually lost everything and now has nothing on it. needless to say he's not happy with me. Then I was telling my friend about my problem she mentioned she has a brand new never used 3rd gen 8 gig ipod she won in a raffle and since she has an iphone she didn't need and gave it to me. Tried to download yesterday: I was excited because in the itunes window it stated "syncing, do not disconnect" etc. but when it was "completed" I disconnected correctly only to find O - nothing on my ipod. Can you help me please? I am so beyond frustrated. thanks so much in advance.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

Since installing snow leopard have you tried installing the latest itunes?

Omer Mushahwar :

it can be found here http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer :

the second sentence of my question I wrote "I updated my Itunes" so yes, I installed the very latest itunes.

Omer Mushahwar :

i was just making sure you updated after you installed snow leopard

Omer Mushahwar :

So the main issue is nothing is syncing from itunes to the ipods no matter which Ipod you are using

Omer Mushahwar :

when you plug in one of the ipod and click on it in itunes

Omer Mushahwar :

if you click on the music tab that is show for the ipod what does it say it should be syncing does it have entire library check to sync or specific songs?

Customer :

just sync to specific songs..

Customer :

the songs I checked.

Customer :

are you stlil there? just checking so I don't leave..

Omer Mushahwar :

One thing to try is plug in your ipod the go to edit go to preferences then go to advance

Omer Mushahwar :

then where it says reset sync history click that

Omer Mushahwar :

then try syncing again

Customer :

ok...I just plugged it in

Customer :

I'll try what you're suggesting...just saw something weird....

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

whats that

Customer :

there are some exclamation points to the left of some of my songs...never saw that before :-(

Omer Mushahwar :

Exclamation points usually mean that either the song files have been moved or there is an issue with you itunes database

Omer Mushahwar :

if songs arent there it would explain your syncing issues

Customer :

ok I'm going to try what you wrote

Omer Mushahwar :

do all of your songs have exclamation points next to them

Customer :

preferences is not under "edit" it's under itunes....

Customer :

then I click advance

Omer Mushahwar :

oh sorry I got the windows and mac menus mixed up

Customer :

i don't see "reset sync history"

Customer :

maybe that's on windows?

Omer Mushahwar :

one second loading up my mac

Customer :

to asnwer your ? no, not all of the songs. but a bunch & I've never seen those exclamation marks before

Customer :

i still don't know what to click on in preferences if anything at all

Omer Mushahwar :

Yeah one second im waiting for my mac to load up itunes but with you have exclamation marks on songs the sync history isnt the issue I can guarantee that.

Omer Mushahwar :

Do you know if the songs you are trying to sync are ones with the exclamation point? because even if the first one is it will block all syncing.

Customer :

nope, they're not every one I checked off...

Customer :

it's just so weird...but I feel like it has something to do with my 1st ipod that was totally corrupt....i would get windows saying "can't sync to this ipod" or "you didn't disconnect properly" when I absolutely did....I knew it was old and I was going to get rid of it but then this happened

Customer :

I mean I am getting NOTHING even though it reads "iPod sync in complete" - no playlists, even though I have a few with checked off songs...no podcasts, nothing.

Omer Mushahwar :

it is possible the database file is corrupt in itunes.
if you go to your main itunes folder through the finder and look in the music folder do you see the song files that itunes show with exclamation points

Customer :

looking....

Customer :

sorry, not seeing a "music" folder?? I clicked on applications in finder and find itunes

Customer :

is that what you're speaking of?

Omer Mushahwar :

no the library where i tunes keeps all the music files

Omer Mushahwar :

should be under you user profile folder

Customer :

don't know where that is, never looked for it before, could you give me path please?

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok it can vary based on your itunes settings go back to preferences and advanced tab it should be in the top box and show the path to the itunes library

Customer :

sorry I found "library"

Omer Mushahwar :

library is a little different than the itunes folder

Customer :

i see the path

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

now check to see if the songs are there even though they have exclamation points

Customer :

/users/marycgould/music/itunes/itunesmusic

Customer :

i can't find users!!! sorry I'm an idiot but can't find it???

Omer Mushahwar :

open finder

Omer Mushahwar :

click on your main hard drive

Omer Mushahwar :

it should be one of the very top folders

Customer :

done

Customer :

sorry swear to God I see no "users" folder

Customer :

Under "devices": iDisk, Mac HD, Mary's Backup, Mac OSX install...

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok you need to open your hard drive which from the look of those should be Mac HB

Omer Mushahwar :

HD

Omer Mushahwar :

so open that

Customer :

Under "Places" I see marycgould, when I click on that, I see: CBEST, XXXXX XXXXX Downloads, Library, Movies, Music....is that it

Omer Mushahwar :

then what folders do you see

Customer :

yeap DUH sorry I'm a loser

Customer :

that was it

Customer :

I'm there

Omer Mushahwar :

ok let me know if the song files are there but itunes just isnt recognizing them

Omer Mushahwar :

Also when do you do your last update as I believe apple released an update this week

Customer :

yes I did the update a couple of days ago - 7 something, right?

Omer Mushahwar :

?

Omer Mushahwar :

Itunes is up to version 10 now

Omer Mushahwar :

came out the last few days if you dont have 10 it would be a good idea to download it and run the install

Customer :

whoa really?? i did it a couple of days ago

Omer Mushahwar :

yeah

Customer :

yeap that makes sense

Customer :

let me look

Omer Mushahwar :

download the update from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer :

this is going to take a few minutes are you going to just wait?

Omer Mushahwar :

yeah ill be around

Customer :

thank you :-)

Omer Mushahwar :

you're welcome

Customer :

ok it's installed

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

go a head and open itunes

Omer Mushahwar :

and see if the songs still have exclamation points next to them

Omer Mushahwar :

Hello?

Customer :

i'm here

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok just wanted to be sure

Customer :

no exclamation points and it's syncing some songs! yay!

Omer Mushahwar :

nice

Customer :

okay it says the sync is complete

Customer :

let's see...

Omer Mushahwar :

Okay fingers crossed

Omer Mushahwar :

:-)

Customer :

oh my God it worked for the songs but not for podcasts!!!!

Omer Mushahwar :

Have you signed into itunes

Customer :

i have a playlist that has some podcasts in it and it is nowhere to be found - they are checked off -

Customer :

yes

Customer :

yuck I don't like the layout but, oh well

Omer Mushahwar :

yeah its a little bit different

Omer Mushahwar :

do you see the podcasts at all in itunes

Customer :

yes I do

Customer :

they are there, they're just not syncing

Omer Mushahwar :

try signing out of itunes account and then signing back in also make sure the computer is authorized

Customer :

oh no I've gotta go bec my baby is crying :-(

Customer :

thanks for all you've helped me with

Customer :

happy to pay and leave postiive fdbck

Customer :

can I do that when I get her down?

Omer Mushahwar :

your more than welcome

Omer Mushahwar :

thanks

Omer Mushahwar :

yeah just come back to the question

Omer Mushahwar :

and then hit accept so i get paid for my time and you can do the feedback at any point

Omer Mushahwar :

Glad we got things working for you

Omer Mushahwar :

have a good weekend

Customer :

thanks so much

Customer :

you too! would like to pay you more than $3 though how can i increase?

Omer Mushahwar :

you can always add a bonus if you like

Customer :

thanks I will

Customer :

have a great weekend

Omer Mushahwar :

itll be an option when you accept the answer

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis