R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

I have a macbook [2006] that I am trying to fix up for a grandson.

I have a macbook [2006] that I am trying to fix up for a grandson. New battery, new HD and it still won't install OS X [leopard] any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this, but I need a little more information first:

Do you get an error message of any sort, aside from, "contact the software manufacturer?"

Have you already partitioned and formatted the hard drive by this point (I know that you said that you get about half way through the install, but I was wondering if that was conceptually, or after OS X was actually starting to install on the drive)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No other message, Yes I have erased, formatted I don't believe I partitioned,
If you've formatted, then you've gotten the partitioning part done as well.

Give this a try: When you boot off of the OS X install disc, go ahead and select the option to run Disk First Aid and check to see if the disk is working OK. Let me know what you find.

Disk problems aren't the only thing that can cause this type of problem, but they are the most common.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GUID partition table, Does it matter how many partition? one drop down menu has several selections. on the HD I did go from 80 gb to 500 gb. Does that matter?
It shouldn't make a difference at this point, but we'll keep it in mind, just in case. A 2006 Macbook should be able to handle a drive of this size fairly easily. If we keep at this and it isn't working, we might try to chop the drive into two equal partitions to see if that helps.

Did Disk First Aid (part of the Disk Utility) show any problems?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no problems, it said it was OK
(I'm posting this as an answer, in accordance with site policy, but don't accept it until you're satisfied that your question has been answered)

Well, let's try the two-partitions option. Are you comfortable with doing this, or do you need instructions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to be on the safe side I would like instructions. thank you

No problem. Here's how to partition the drive:

While you're in the Disk Utility, select 2 partitions from the drop-down menu and then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (do this format change, if necessary, for each partition), then click Apply. After that, just continue with normal installation, selecting the first partition to install on.

If you need more detail than this, please just ask and I'll be happy to assist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just did the 2 partition and will continue with the install which will take awhile. can I get back to you?? You have been a big help and hopefully this will work.
Sure. Feel free to contact me again, on this thread, if you have further questions or require additional clarification. I'll be here for about the next four hours, and the install shouldn't take that long.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I started the install and again it went about half way and it says "The installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/untitled 1" Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Is the bottom of your install disc scratched or smudged? This sounds like a read error on the install disc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This install disc is brand new and no scratches I checked. I got it from a guy that works on macs and he burned it for me. He chargs 80.00 an hr.
Is this the correct disc for this model of Macbook? Burned copies of install discs are not always reliable. I always prefer to use original discs, whenever possible. Do you still have access to the original discs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not the original disc that came with this laptop. I have an original disc for leopard that came with my computer and there are a few scratches on it, which I don't understand because I'm very careful with CD's so that is why I had him burn another one. Could the CD drive be dirty or something?? This has been packed around by a teenager for 4 years. She was 17 when she got it and can't seem to know where the original disc's are.
You can order new install discs from Apple. You might try your Leopard disc, just to see if you can install it, regardless of the scratches. If it completes, then there is a problem with the disc, and if it doesn't, there is a problem with the drive.

If you have additional question, please feel free to ask. If you would like to approach this from another angle, let me know, and we can explore that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you replace the drives? if so would it really be worth it for a 4 yr. old computer? I appreciate your input
On a Mac, replacing the drive can be quite cost effective, even on a four-year-old computer. The labor will run a bit, as will the Apple drive, but you end up with a usable laptop in the end (assuming that the drive was the problem in the first place, which can be confirmed by testing). Personally, given the low cost of replacement discs from Apple (which are always good to have anyway), I'd check with other discs before jumping to replace the drive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I just order the replacement disc off the apple website??
You can order them by calling one of these numbers in the US:

1 800 MY APPLE
1 800 SOS APPL
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much. you have a good evening wherever you are
You as well. If you have found my input to be helpful, please remember to Accept the answer. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.