Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My mac ( a laptop ibook with 10.4.xx) seems to have locked

My mac ( a laptop ibook with 10.4.xx) seems to have locked up. The beach ball keeps spinning about 45 minutes. I can't get to the force quit button. I can't do anything to it. So in frustration I started punching keys at random. at some point the screen went dark. which I thought turned it off. I hit the start button and I can hear something clicking in the computer but the screen is dark and nothing seems to work. HELP. How can I make peace with this laptop and get back to normal.

Before it flug the beachball at me I had Firefox open and I was about to send and email but I had stopped to jot down an idea on a word program. Can't recall the name.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can reset the PRAM and NVRAM. May be that'll help to bring it back to life.
  1. Shut down your Mac (hold down the Power button until its turns off)
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Let me know if that didn't worked...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not working. I just get the grey screen and there is a clicking sound coming from the computer. Just a blank grey screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
First the 'clicking sounds' sounds not good. Clicking Sounds usually indicates some components are failing. Okay...You can try do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one.

Archive and Install : Please Read this carefully

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can't seem to find my start up disk.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Its the Mac OS X installation discs. Please search them...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ah! I found them. Here's what they say (apparently I have OX 10.1.4xx. I think I gave you wrong OS version earlier. I downloaded the patches and upgrades as they became available. I don't think I purchased an upgrade if that makes a difference.

these disks are for:
iBook G4
OS version: 10.1.4
cd version 1

The packet of disks contain: OSX Install disk, Software Restore disks 1-4, Apple Hardware test disk

Should I use one of the other disks or just do the Archive Install proceedure?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You are using 10.4 and the 10.1 discs are very old, they probably won't work. Are you sure you don't have Tiger installation discs ? I'm asking because you can't upgrade into 10.4 without the Tiger discs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think I gave you the wrong OS at first. This one is 10.1.4.. (I have two macs the G4 dual is 10.4)
So we are working with OS 10.1.4.xx or 10.1.7 or something like that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You can do Archive and Install with the discs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would holding down Command + S and restarting then typing fsck -fy do any thing to help?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...had network problems.OKay..That is Disk Utility in Single User Mode. That might help, but it might not completely fix it. Also, i forgot to mention one important step. You can try Safe Mode.

Restart in Safe mode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

If that didn't worked, then it'd better to do Archive and Install.

Edited by Ashik on 9/3/2010 at 7:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm getting nothing. just a blue screen. after a while I get a folder icon with a question Mark in the middle and then a OS X icon. And still that clicking. after a longer while (5 min.) the screen goes black then comes back blue. And now I can't get the install disk out. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Bad News !! The folder with question mark (?) means that your Mac was unable to find the startup disk in order to boot your Mac OS. This is because of either the Mac OS system files are corrupted or failure of hard disk. Since you are not able to boot into OS X discs and hearing that weird clicking noise, i think your hard disk is fried. Sorry, but you may need to replace your hard disk to fix this issue. So, it'd be better to take it to the Apple Store to replace the HD. Again, sorry i can't do anything now to help you...

Best Regards,