Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Type Your Question Here...Why is my MacBook Air suddenly so

Type Your Question Here...Why is my MacBook Air suddenly so slow? Also, my mouse is tracking all over the place, no control
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello Nancy, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
You need Something a bit stronger like Disk Warrior, this will rebuild the directories and greatly speed things up.
You also need to update to OS X 10.5.8, use the Software Update in the Apple menu to do this, remember to repair permissions after all updates. You may need to run the updater more than once to make sure you get all of them.

Customer :

I do have 10.5.8 - sorry, I mis-read.

Customer :

Do I need to buy and download Disk Warrior? Is it difficult to use?

Daniel :

Disk Warrior is very easy to use, I use it on all my machines and my customers.

You do need an external hard drive to run it from or you need the DVD to boot from because it will not repair the drive it is running on.

What version of MBA do you have?

Daniel :

MacBook Air

Daniel :

You might try resetting the SMC (system management controller) and see if that helps.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter does not change states or temporarily turn-off when you reset the SMC.

Daniel :

What I am suggesting are noninvasive and what to do first.

Customer :

I'm not sure what you mean in #2 above. What is a "MagSafe" power adapter? My MBA is plugged into a power source. How can I tell what version of MacBook Air I have?

Customer :

I have Time Capsule. Can I use that as an external hard drive?

Daniel :

The TC is an external but it is a pain to setup as a boot device not mention slow.

The Magsafe is how the power cord connects to the MBA, the magnetic coupler is what they are referring to.

The way to find out what MBA you have is to click on the Apple and select 'About this Mac' from the menu.

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

Also in the System Profiler (get that by clicking 'More Info' and it will tell you lots about your Mac.

Customer :

1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Version 10.5.8 I will do what you suggested and get back to you.

Daniel :

Standing by, I do sign off about 10:30 EST so if I miss you I will check in the AM.

Customer :

I tried resetting the SMC. I held all 4 buttons down as you suggested, the green LED light went off until I let go, but other than that, no sounds were made or anything. Was this right? Then I turned on the machine again and it seems to be a bit better. Can I use it for awhile to see if this resolves?

Daniel : Yes, please try it and get back to me.
Customer :

So, if I get DiskWarrior, will you help me? When you say "You do need an external hard drive to run it from or you need the DVD to boot from because it will not repair the drive it is running on", I'm not sure I understand the terms. Forgive me, but how, exactly, do you "boot" from the DVD?

Daniel :

With your machine you have to use a shared Optical drive or an external Optical drive because you Mac does not have one built in.
With an external hard drive you can download a digital copy to install an operating system along with Disk Warrior.
Probably the best way for this to work for you is to goto Office Max and get a small USB bus driven external hard drive (take your pick), format it with Disk Utility and use CarbonCopyCloner to make an exact copy of your Mac that will be bootable.
Then install Disk Warrior on it to use it.
That is one short coming of the MBA, the lack of ports and optical drives.

Daniel :

Sorry for the late reply but my father in laws 87th b'day and we celebrated.
I just got home.

Customer :

No problem, I will be gone for a few days - need to get an external hard drive. tnks

Daniel :

Just reply to this thread.

Customer :

I purchased an external hard drive formatted for a MAC. I am now cloning my hard drive onto the external drive via Carbon Copy Cloner. I am assuming that when I download the DiskWarrior, I select the external drive to install it on. Then I am not sure how to use the DW on my original hard drive? Thanks

Daniel :

You have that right, all you need do is boot from the external and run DW, I would instal on both so that you can turn around and run it on the external also.

Customer :

I installed DW on my external hard drive, then I selected Restart from the Apple menu and held down the "C" key as instructed from the instructions on "Running DiskWarrior". This, I assume, restarted me from the external. Then I went to DW and opened it, selected my hard drive and it says: the directory cannot be rebuilt because this is the startup disk". What did I do wrong?

Daniel :

No, that did not start from the external, holf=ding the C down will make it boot from a DVD/CD but not anything else.

To start from the external hold down the 'Option' key, this opens the startup manager so you can select which device to boot from.

Try that and see.

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Now I have run DW on both my main hard drive and the external clone. My computer seems to be working better and faster. Is this something that I need to do on a regular basis to keep it clean?? Thanks again for your help.

Daniel :

I use it when things seem to slow down, that and the permissions repair work well. This widget does all but DWs job, it runs UNIX routines that get neglected.

(click here) I use this once a week, it saves headaches.

Customer :

Nothing happens when I click: (click here)

Daniel :

Look in your downloads folder, it goes directly there. It is files.me.com/pndaldermanprod/4mvcwp

Daniel :

In Safari open the download window under Window in the menu bar.

Customer :

Nope, its not there

Customer :

this is what I get:

ERROR

You want to download the following file:

Unfortunately right now our servers are overloaded and we have no more download slots left for non-members. Of course you can also try again later.

Create Premium Account

Daniel :

Wow, I have never seen such.

Daniel :

Have to this the hard way.

Full Size Image

This is found in Applications/Utilities, just follow the steps.

Daniel :

It is called Disk Utility.

Daniel :

Looks like this,

Full Size Image

Customer :

OK, am doing it. Is this what I should do on a weekly basis? What about that Widget?

Customer :

There, I was able to download the Maintenance Widget. I should run this weekly?

Daniel :

I would whenever things act up. Do the UNIX daily, weekly and monthly, it makes a difference. Also do the permissions when Apple updates happen.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.