Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

i cant delete tv shows out my itunes library!! everytime i

i can't delete tv shows out my itunes library!! everytime i try the itunes program just suddenly quits on me. please help! i'm now unable to view new downloads that i paid for with my season passes-- thanks so much--S
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
First, can you tell me what version of Mac OS X. you have? And what version of iTunes?

Customer :

sorry i missed your earlier message-- please get in touch whenever you are back on line. i'm using 10.4.11 in terms of the MAC OS X, and the itunes version is 9.2.1

Daniel :

Sorry, had to roll up car windows, started pouring.

Customer :

i'm here again too-- but i have to give you a head's up that i've got a toddler who might take me away :-)

Daniel :

The first thing I recommend whatever applications begin acting strangely is to repair permissions.
This PDF will explain how. (Click here)
Do that and try deleting again, please let me know the results.

Daniel :

Toddlers are cool, a handful, but definitely cool.

Customer :

very cool & a handful! very funny too!

Customer :

i will try this-- can i write again later on today & let you know if it worked? thanks--

Daniel :

Yes, you can bookmark this to make it easy to get back to if for some reason we are disconnected.
The link will open in a new page so you will not lose me by clicking on it.

Customer :

i just did the repairing permissions-- itunes still crashes when i try to delete. do i need to restart the computer then try itunes again?

Daniel :

That would be a good idea, and while you are at it I would recommend doing a safe boot, this runs UNIX repair routines that are normally neglected.
To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Daniel :

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

Daniel :

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Daniel :

try that and then try deleting from iTunes again. And please keep me posted.

Daniel :

I will be away for a little while but will be back shortly.

Customer :

helllloooo? hope someone gets back to me soon-- :-)

Daniel : I am back, sorry, I had to fix something.
Daniel : Status update?
Customer :

i tried what you suggested, but itunes still crashes when i go to delete a tv show. should i restart the computer? havent done that since repairing permissions--

Daniel : First quit iTunes and drag iTunes to the trash, next go to Apple.com and download a new copy and instal it. This should fix it. I alwats try the easy first and then get more drastic.
Daniel : You will not lose your Library by doing this.
Daniel : But if you want you can drag the Library out of the music folder onto the desk top for safe keeping.
Customer :

yikes-- okay i'll try this!

Daniel : It is not hard or harmful, just a standard download.
Daniel : I will give you exactly where.
Daniel :

iTunes (click here) this is for iTunes 10

Daniel :

Once you download and install then before you open it drag the Library back to music, it will say there is a newer one and do you want to replace, click yes. Then open iTunes, it will upgrade your Library to this version.

Customer :

i downloaded, but then got this message: Couldn't open "Install iTunes.pkg". This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5.

Customer :

where do i find that upgrade?

Daniel :

Ok, I forgot, I will get the right one.

Daniel :

Here

Customer :

awesome!!! it worked. thanks so much. do we close out & hit accept now? thanks again

Customer :

i'll go ahead and hit accept-- thanks again-- you've been so helpful

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.