R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

i cant launch itunes, it might be corrupt, how do i fix it

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this, but I need a little more information first:

Which operating system are you using? (XP, Vista, Windows 7, OS X, something else)

Are you getting an error message? If so, what is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
xp and a message says itunes needs to close
When were you last able to use it without getting an error message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 2 weeks ago

The first thing to try is to download and install a new version of iTunes. In many cases this will fix the problem. According to site policy, I'm posting this as an answer, but don't accept it until you are satisfied that this is working for you again.

Go to this address and download the newest version of iTunes:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Install it after you have it downloaded and give it a try again. If you have any trouble with any part of this, let me know and I'll be happy to help. If it still doesn't work after installing a fresh copy, let me know and we'll try the next step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i downloaded it and still get a message that says itunes had encountered a problem and needs to close
Ok, the next step is to uninstall iTunes (which will leave your library and playlists intact), then reinstall it. Again, according to site policy, I'm posting this as an answer, but don't accept it until you are satisfied that this is working for you again.

1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. Open the item named Add/Remove Programs.

3. Locate the item in the list named iTunes, click on it just once to highlight it, then click the button named Remove.

4. Follow the prompts to uninstall iTunes.

5. Restart your computer (if you loose track of this conversation, follow this link to get back to it or bookmark this page: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3ybsm-i-cant-launch-itunes-it-might-be-corrupt-how-do-i-fix-it

6. After the computer is done restarting, install iTunes from the file that you previously downloaded and check to see if it works again.

As before, if you have any trouble with any part of this, let me know and I'll be happy to help. If it still doesn't work after installing the removal and reinstall, let me know and we'll try the next step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just installed itunes but still have the same problem,

Is the error message just, "iTunes needs to close," or is there more to it? Any details will be helpful at this point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it says itunes has encountered a problem and needs to close, thats all it says, it you cant solve the issue, how do i get my money back
If you decide that you are dissatisfied with this process and want a refund at any point, just let me know and I'll message the moderators and let them know.

Again, according to site policy, I'm posting this as an answer, but don't accept it until you are satisfied that this is working for you again. Get back into the Add/Remove Programs item in the Control Panel and remove the following items (you might not have all of them, but remove any that you do find):

• iTunes
  • Bonjour
  • Apple Mobile Device Support
  • Apple Software Update
  • Apple Application Support
  • Quicktime

When that is done, open up My Computer, then the C: drive, and go to the folder named Program Files and delete these folders (these aren't the ones that contain your iTunes library):

• Apple Software Update
  • Bonjour
  • iPod
  • iTunes
  • QuickTime
  • and the Apple folder inside the Common Files folder

After all of this is done, restart your computer again and reinstall iTunes from the file you downloaded, then give it a a try.

As before, if you have any trouble with any part of this, let me know and I'll be happy to help. If it still doesn't work after this deeper removal, let me know and we'll try the next step.

Edited by R.A. McConnell on 9/3/2010 at 5:25 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i want a refund
Will do. I hope you get your problem dealt with to your satisfaction. Best of luck.