Alan_Ramos
Alan_Ramos, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple ACMT Certified and GSX enabled - 19+ years experience.

I need help with VMfusionware version 3.1.1. I am using my

Customer Question

I need help with VMfusionware version 3.1.1. I am using my MacBook Pro OSX version 10.6.4. I am unable to connect a printer. Help_
Category: Mac
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Do you see a menu option called VM? Go under there and look for removable devices .. .and see if you see a USB printer there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not following. I have Virtual Machines in the dock. Do I have to be on the Virtual machine in order to see the menu option?
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Yea...highlight the virtual machine that you want to access the printer from. Then see if you have an option in one of the menus to connect it. Then look for a menu option that says something like "Removable Devices" .... In vmware server, it's under the VM menu. I'm not exactly sure how it is laid out for VMware fusion...I would imagine it would be something similar.

Because the printer is currently connected to the HOST machine, in the "Removable Devices" section, you should be able to disconnect it from the HOST and present it to the GUEST. That's probably why you can't see it in the GUEST machine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need clearer directions. I am not sure where I am to look or what I am to do. I am getting confused.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Alan_Ramos replied 3 years ago.
Hello Customer ,

My name isXXXXX - an Apple and PC computer expert. I think I might be able to help you.

Good day, I believe the problem you're running into is simple enough to fix. We need to make sure your printer is set up and working in Mac OS X before we try to send documents to it from your Windows environment. The reason for this is that VMWare is virtually 'hosting' the printer from the Mac so Windows essentially sees it and believes it to be a networked or other shared printer.

Now, once the printer is accessible in Mac OS X (you've added it to the System Preference pane for Printers and Fax) open VMWare without launching your Windows environment and select the option to adjust settings for the environment you wish to use. Its likely an icon of a cog or geared wheel- also a menu option when your environment is highlighted.

Once you see the virtual environment options you'll notice you can set up other things like memory usage etc. Here check the shared tab and make sure your printer shows up in the window. This will automatically make the printer available in WIndows. You should NOT attempt to add a printer to Windows manually because VMWare will be doing this for you based on this setting. Please look for these options and let me know what you find.