Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi, My wife has an I Book G4 that came with Panther. When

My wife has an I Book G4 that came with Panther. When Tiger came out we installed it. Just a few days ago her Dictionary on the dock did not work anymore, even though it was still part of her dock. When you put in a common word, "no definition found". My question is: can we simply reinstall Mac OS X Tiger from the disc to remedy the situation?
Thanks so much
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
Yes you can, it is called an Archive and Install. This PDF will explain exactly how to do it. (Click here)
If you have any problems with it lease let me know.

Customer :

Hi Dan,

Customer :

Hi Dan, I'm sorry for the delay. We didn't have the chance to do the install till last night. And it went ok except every time she turns on the computer a dialog box comes up "Application Launch Notice The application transport monitor could not be launced because of a shared library error". We don't want to reinstall, for the problem was fixed. But how do we get rid of that dialog box that comes up every time? Thanks for your help, for this is minor, and if you can help me with this then acceptance is forthcoming. Thanks again, Paul

Daniel :

Do have a Palm? If so try reinstalling that. If that fails then in the hard drive/Users/Shared should be what Transport Monitor might be there. The reinstal of Palm should fix it.

Customer :

Dave, we were given a Palm by our daughter, and don't have installation directions. Will have them by tomorrow. Is it alright to get back to you then? Thanks for your patience and help. I feel like we're almost there. Paul

Daniel :

Tomorrow will be fine. I will be on most of the day then.

Customer :

Dan, Again, thanks for sticking with me. We hardly use the Palm, and unfortunately cannot find install disc. So we are probably going to trash it. Do you happen to know the process of uninstalling or simply sending it to the trash? I've checked the internet, and many people have this problem. Paul

Daniel :

Try this utility called AppZapper, it can remove everything to do with Palm, just read the instructions carefully and follow closely.

Basicly just drag the offending app to the AppZapper window and it will do the rest.

Customer :

Thanks so much, Dan. I will try the AppZapper. If I need help with our Macs in the future, I will definitely contact you. You have been so helpful. Paul

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.