Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have an old iMac using OSx 10.1.5 and I have lost my internet

I have an old iMac using OSx 10.1.5 and I have lost my internet connection. I think I need to reset my network settings to connect using ethernet. How do I do that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
The first thing I have to ask is did you leave the door open?
A little expert humor there, very little.
Have you changed anything in the way it was set up? I mean such as a router, a modem or any settings in your computer?

Customer :

I have not changed any thing. This is father-in-law computer, he had it on when I showed up. I know it has connected in the past, since he has had it and I used to own it and it worked for me.

Daniel :

As a beginning I suggest a restart and doing a pram reset. Please follow the instructions following carefully.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

Daniel :

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Daniel :

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Daniel :

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Daniel :

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

Daniel :

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

Daniel :

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Daniel :

Give that a try and let me know.

Customer :

heard four chimes, see mac

Customer :

should I test browser when it boots up?

Daniel :

Good, that means all is reset, check the connection.

Customer :

by using browser?

Daniel :

Yes, try that.

Daniel :

If that doesn't work then we will try a new location, I do have to dig out how to do that in 10.1

Customer :

explorer is hung up, that is what I have been encountering. I usually hold the start button down to reboot, is that ok?

Daniel :

That is not OK. Always use the Apple Menu and select either restart or shut down.

Daniel :

What you are doing will cause problems.

Customer :

sorry, back to desktop. I did a force quit to stop explorer

Daniel :

This is want I want you to do on that machine is repair permissions. This PDF explains how to do this, it requires Acrobat reader or Preview to open.

Repairing Permissions

Customer :

i read through the pdf my repair button is grayed out

Daniel :

Do you have the instal discs that came with the Mac?

Customer :

this is gonna require a trip to garage

Daniel :

OK, I know this is getting compicated but hang in there.

Customer :

can not locate discs

Daniel :

The Repair Permissions is grayed out or is it Repair Disc?

Customer :

i did not get the screen exactly as shown in pdf. I have three buttons tha show in the first aid tab, stop, repair and verify. All grayed out

Daniel :

Click on First aid, then at the bottom click repair, looks like this.

Full Size Image

Customer :

grayed out, that is not what my screen looks like.

Daniel :

Ok, then try this but do it exactly as mistakes can make a doorstop out of the Mac.

1. Reboot/Startup holding your Command-S key down.

2. At the command line type the following and hit 'Return.'

/sbin/fsck -fy (space between the k and the -)

3. If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run fsck again until the drive checks OK.

4. After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' and hit 'Return' again.

This will do the same job but from a different way.

Customer :

just restarted

Customer :

what now

Customer :

any body their?

Daniel :

Okay, now go to the Apple in the upper left corner and select System Preferences,

I am here just working on the problem.

Daniel :

My book isn't cooperating.

Customer :

grandpa has it hot here in the house

Daniel :

I was trying to copy paste some images but I cannot do so. So once you have your system preferences open click onThe world where says network.

Then where is says configure select Built-In Ethernet, then on TCP/IP where it says configure select using DHCP. The Mac should do the rest, click save and try your Internet.

Customer :

I don't have quite what you see. I have show I choose Bilt-in Ethernet

Customer :

configure DHcp but my appy now button is graded out

Daniel :

go to the apple menu in the corner and select about this Mac and tell me what you find.

Customer :

mac os x 10.1.5

Customer :

memory 512mb power pc g3

Daniel :

Then we should be looking at the same Windows.

Customer :

ok can't choose apply now

Daniel :

Full Size Image

This is what you should be seeing.

Customer :

not the same drop downs but same screen

Daniel :

If you are using 10.1.5 then you should see the very same thing, what I am sending you is coming directly from an Apple manual.

Customer :

still can't press the button

Daniel :

Other than using the manually is exactly what you want you want to use the DHCP because then it is all automatic.

You are going to need the installation disks or at least a newer version of MacOS X to get past this problem.

Customer :

ok that's an answer. Thank you for your help.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.