Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

For years I have benefitted from using the spell checker in

For years I have benefitted from using the spell checker in Apple Works.
Two weeks ago when I pulled down the EDIT scroll and selected WRITING TOOLS, and then selected CHECK DOCUMENT SPELLING, I got a window stating, THE MAIN SPELL DICTIONARY IS NOT INSTALLED.
What could have happened? Where did it go and how do I get it back?
I now have and am using AppleWorks 6.
Thank you for being there.
Walter Myer
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello Walter, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
Can you tell me what version of Mac OS X. you are currently using and if you had recently done any upgrades or updates?
Also, do you still have your AppleWorks installation disc?

Customer :

Current OS 10.5.8

Daniel :

How about the updates and do you still have the AppleWorks installation disk?

Customer :

I have the install and restore discs for both the eMac and the iMac.

Customer :

Now using iMac5,1

Daniel :

I am talking about the Apple Works disc.

Customer :

There have been several updates received but I'm not sure that AppleWorks was involved.

Customer :

Since the trouble developed I have upgraded from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 I am unable to find any AppleWorks discs.

Customer :

Did the original installation discs mentioned above ever include AppleWorks?

Daniel :

Try repairing the permissions, this may fix this problem and then again it may not but it is a step in the right direction.
Repairing Permissions This PDF explains how to do it.

Customer :

I selected repair permissions.

Customer :

Now what do I do?

Daniel :

Can I assume that the permissions have been repaired?

Daniel :

You might try deleting a couple of plist the files, specifically these com.apple.Dictionary.plist and
com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist.

Daniel :

you can find those in your home folder/Library/preferences.

Customer :

I'm going out to dinner. I'll check back in later.

Customer :

Thanks

Daniel :

Have a good dinner, I will be here.

Customer :

I am not familiar with "plist the files". or com.apple.Dictionary.plist.

Daniel :

You will find them this way.

First set your Finder to column view.

Full Size Image

Then this is the path you follow.

Full Size Image

Both are there together.

Customer :

Okay, I found the two plists, but why would I delete them? You are talking way over my head.

Daniel :

New, fresh ones will be made to replace them. The reason to delete them is so that if they are corrupted this makes them good.

Customer :

I selected each of them, then they turned blue authenticating the selection, and hit "delete.

Customer :

Nothing happened apparently. What now?

Customer :

I just checked and the message, "the main spell dictionary is not installed".

Customer :

I used the "delete" key on the keyboard. How else should I delete them? It is now 12:15 Sunday AM. I am going to retire, I'll check in with you tomorrow evening.

Customer :

Thanks, Walter ps. Where did you find the name Wally Grisham? It has to be me but I don't remember using it.

Daniel : Your name was with the question. Using the delete will do nothing, you need to drag them out.
Daniel : If you have the AppleWorks disc then reinstall it, that should put the dictionary back where it belongs.
Customer :

I have the three eMac discs, circa 2003, for the software install and restore. Will they have the AppleWorks installation on them?

Daniel :

No, most likely it will not. But here it is to download (click here), at least it will have an update for what you have and may restore the dictionary.

Customer :

Should I delete the two plists and then down load AppleWorks 6.2.9?

Daniel :

Drag them out to the desk top but don't trash them as yet.

Customer :

Done that, now what?

Daniel : Now download and install the update.
Customer :

"The default location for this install could not be found. This install will be cancelled" Now what?

Daniel :

Where do you have the AppleWorks application? It should be in your home folder/applications, if it is not there then please put it there by draging and dropping.

Customer :

I placed the AppleWorks icon in Home File and then placed the 6.2.9 updater in the Home File.

Customer :

The Main Dictionary File is still missing.

Daniel :

If it makes you feel any better my AppleWorks dictionary doesn't work right either. I was hoping that it would for you.

Daniel :

I finally gave up on it and got iWorks 09, I like it better than AppleWorks, that was the purpose of iWorks.

Daniel :

It does all that AppleWorks did and more at it is inexpensive also, at $79.00 it is well worthhe price.

Customer :

I'll take your advice and get iWorks 09, thanks.What do I owe you for your trouble?

Daniel :

Just what you agreed to at the start, thank you. I was wanting it to work for you and that is why I had you do all that stuff. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.

Customer :

Thank you Daniel,

Customer :

Walter