Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

how can i share my itunes library with other pcs i have in

how can i share my itunes library with other pc's i have in 3 other locations over the web?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
ITunes will allow you to share your music across the same network but it will not do it outside of your network.
What this means is according to official Apple policy it cannot be done. Only On the network that all three machines are on, an example would be your home network.

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

are you able to share music with mobile me?

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

have you heard of Yazsoft Sharetool? this is supposed to allow you to share your itunes library via web.

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

www.macworld.com/reviews/product/412584/review/sharetool_134.html

Daniel :

I will have to look at that, and yes you can share via MobileMeIf you use your iDisk you can upload music and share it.

Daniel :

I think that that also will have a problem with iTunes because Apple does not want you to share your iTunes music over the Internet. At least the way the I am thinking you are talking about.

MobileMe will do the trick but it won't be instant.

Daniel :

Nor will it be streaming.

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

let me give some detail on what i am trying to do. i have a house in Florida, one in Michigan and a boat. i want to share my music via the web. if i load music on my itunes on the boat. can i then access the library via the web or can i update all 3 libraries automatically?

Daniel :

Only if you upload the music to MobileMe or other service like MobileMe and then download at the other sites can you do as you want.

My question is why not use an external drive to keep your iTunes Library on and transport that or a laptop or iPad?

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

i do own an ipad the issue came up when i left it in michigan and could not access itunes content via my other pc. it sounds like Apple doesnt allow you to share content via the web. i know there are other music companies that offer this service. i like using the itunes account.

Daniel :

Then if you have a MobileMe it is possible to do what you want. I just did it myself so I tested before I said it.

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

how?

Daniel :

First, login to MobileMe and click on the iDisk icon.

Then click on the home folder/music And there is an up arrow in the blue toolbar, click on that and navigate to the music that you want to upload.

You can upload one right after another and then you can download in the same way at other locations.

Daniel :

Full Size Image

it looks like that.

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

it looks i can do the entire library instead of song by song. am i understanding this correctly

Daniel :

Give it a try, I only did one song as a test. The worst it will do is tell you you can't do it.

JACUSTOMER-vaetd0ug- :

thanks