Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

MICROSOFT OFFICE FOR MAC ENTOURAGE 2004 Have had Word since

MICROSOFT OFFICE FOR MAC
ENTOURAGE 2004

Have had Word since the first one and have updated after every version of office until 2008 came out and decided that the comments didn’t warrant any change.

Anyway, have not had to do anything with Entourage in the past six years excepting rebuilding the database.

My problems started after I went into calendar to post some reminders on the third one I believe I put in an old date and closed it. Then my problems started. If I tried to get into Calendar Entourage would freeze and I had to force quit and reopen. This happened several times before I stopped trying to open calendar. Office Notifications also froze on the desktop and I had to force quit it also. Meanwhile the rest of Entourage worked fine usual mail and database worked fine.

Then Entourage just froze on opening and I tried a number of things (replacing Entourage files from backup including preferences) with no luck. So I made my backup (separate from my Time Machine backup) the startup and Entourage opened and worked just fine. I, however, did not try to open the Calendar.

So it appears to me that there is some file in my main system that is corrupted and needs to be replaced with something from my backup.

And I need to know what file that is.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Can you clarify this:

Mike the MacMedic :

So I made my backup (separate from my Time Machine backup) the startup and Entourage opened and worked just fine. I, however, did not try to open the Calendar.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

i restarted under my backup and Entourage opened and worked just fine. So I'll repeat what I said before. It appears that there is some file in my main system that is corrupted and needs to be replaced with a file from my backup. I need to know what that file is.

Mike the MacMedic :

So you have a backup drive that is a duplicate of your main drive?

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Yes and the last backup (I use Super Duper) was before all the calendar issues happened in my main system. I also have the Time Machine on another hd.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Hi Mike:

Mike the MacMedic :

OK first lets check some things:

Mike the MacMedic :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Mike the MacMedic :

Do this for both drives.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

I've already done that but will do again.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

While that is going on let me say again that it appears that there is some preference or other file within all the Microsoft files in the Libraries that is corrupted. You think it is something else?

Mike the MacMedic :

There is no separate calendar file it is part of the database. Why don‘t you just quit Entourage and drag the Microsoft User Data file to the Desktop from Documents and copy over the one that works from the backup to Documents?

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

I'll give that a try. My Disk Utility check on permissions came up with this:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Mike the MacMedic :

That’s ok

Mike the MacMedic :

I meant Microsoft User Data folder.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Mike:

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

I just did as you suggested. Moved the Microsoft User Data Folder from my backup (the one that worked) and then placed it in my Documents folder. i then tried Entourage and it said that "an older version of the Microsoft Database Daemon is running." Then it told me to delete the daemon from the startup items and then restart. I did that and then I get the message that "an application has canceled restart." The message below that says, "Microsoft Office Notifications cannot start. The database for your identity is locked. To fix this problem, use the finder to unlock the Database file in your identify folder." But I can't find anything in the Finder that relates to my "identity."

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

What did I do wrong and what should i do next. Force restart? Restart from my backup?

Mike the MacMedic :

Open Word and go to Help/Check for Updates. Run any it finds and install

Mike the MacMedic :

Did you quit Entourage first?

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Yes. Both Entourage and Word. But I found that for some reason Office Notifications was active so I force quit that and was able to restart. So now I will try Entourage again. Will let you know. Ron

Mike the MacMedic :

Run the updates first.

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

OK. I started the Microsoft Auto Update and it stopped after downloading with the message "This installer was unable to quit the database daemon. See the read me for detailed instructions for how to fix this error." I tried force quit but daemon doesn't even show up.????

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to Utilities and open Activity Monitor quit anything that says Microsoft Daemon, then try again

JACUSTOMER-qrrtafe- :

Well I replaced the user database and restarted and everything opened and started as usual. Entourage among them. I had taken Entourage out of my startup file but i guess I put it back in and didn't realize it. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks so much Mike. Sorry to appear so inept. Can I contact you if the problem comes up again/

Mike the MacMedic :

Yes just go to http://mikethemacmedic.com