Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a refurbished Powerbook G4 (Mac OSX). It says it is

I have a refurbished Powerbook G4 (Mac OSX). It says it is connected to the internet but when I open Safari, it cannot find the server.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your Mac issue.

There are two parts to actually reaching an internet site, getting connected and then having your address routed correctly.

Which site are you trying to reach that will not work?

If you type in www.cnn.com, are you able to reach the CNN news site without a problem?
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
What version of Mac OS X are you using?
How is it you are connecting? Wireless or through an ethernet cable?

Daniel :

Our system went down there for a second so I am sending the same thing I sent you a second ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what version. I'm new to using Mac. I am connected through a Wireless connection.
In the upper left corner of the screen is an Apple, click on that and select 'About This Mac',
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Version 10.3.9
Okay, but that's a fairly old' system.
From that same Apple menu select System Preferences, then click on the item called Network.

This is the Network pane in 10.3.9 and shows that the ethernet is OK. If the button is red then there is no connection or if it is yellow it means that there is a problem.

If you click on 'Show' a popup menu will give you choices like 'Built in ethernet' and 'Network Port Configurations.

net pane 10.3.jpg

Choosing 'Built in Ethernet' will show you this and will have all the information filled in if it is working correctly. What you see in the image are samples and will not be what you have.

If you are using Airport then that would be one of the choices and would have similar information.

ethernet.jpg

By going back to 'Show' you can select Port Configurations.

net status.jpg

This is where the port that is the primary is set.

Drag them into the order that you want and uncheck those that you won't use.

port config.jpg

Some times it is necessary to crate a new location because of conflicts or if you have are in a different location that your primary one and the connection is different. This makes it easy to setup or switch between locations and also helps to trouble shoot problems with connecting to a network.

This time click on 'Location' for this popup menu.

location start.jpg

Select new Location and in the drop down name it.

location name.jpg

It can be any name you like. Then choose the connection type, it will give you a list of available choices.

connection type.jpg

Then this

select how to connect.jpg

After doing this click on 'Apply' and it should connect.

After you do that try connecting again and let me know how it works.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.