RussellA, Systems Engineer
Experience:  From windows, to linux, to mac, I know it all.

I have a Macbook with a busted screen. I have hooked up a monitor

I have a Macbook with a busted screen. I have hooked up a monitor using the cable required to hook it up. I cant get anything to come up. How do I get the screen to appear?
Category: Mac
Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
RussellA :

Hi, My name isXXXXX will be assisting you with your question. Bookmark RussellA.Com to find me again!

Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
Here is a perfect video that explains howto

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is not what I need. My screen is busted on the laptop. The mouse travels ove to the the external monitor, but none of the icons are there, therefore I cant make anything operate because I cant see the screen on the laptop and nothing is moving over to the monitor
Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
Ok, your external screen is set-up in Extended mode, we need to make sure to change this setting to Mirror mode, and here is how.
Here us how to use the external monitor as a mirrored display

MacBook display properties.jpg

AL2223W Display Properties.jpg

This would be the default setting if you don’t do anything to your Display settings. As soon as your Mac senses there are multiple displays you can go into “System Preferences” > “Display“. You’ll be able to see 2 display preferences dialog, one for your prime MacBook display and one for the external monitor. You can use the settings in these dialogs to adjust the screen resolution, color intensity and if you have a monitor that can be swiveled (rotated) you can tell Mac OSX to rotate the display to a certain angle for that particular display.

Monitor arrangement settings on Mac Display Preferences.jpg

You see the check mark for "Mirror Displays" in the above pic? It has to be checked on.

Let me know if this helps!

Edited by RussellA on 9/2/2010 at 2:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Again, i cant see the screen on the Mac to mke any changes to the settings.
Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
but you do the extended monitor, is that correct? You are able to move your mouse into that area?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the mouse is the only thing I can see on the external monitor
Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
Here are two more options:

1) Connect it to the external display, and an external mouse/keyboard. Then close the lid on the Macbook, and wake it up with the external keyboard/mouse. This will put it in "clamshell" mode, and it will set the external display as the primary display since the stock MB display will be closed.

2) Press Option and the brightness up button (F2) and that will open your display preferences. When it's open, click on the Gather Windows button to pull both display preference windows into the one you can see. Click on the window with the Arrangement tab in it and drag the menu bar to the screen you can see. You should be able to do what you need to then...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks anyway, none of this works.
Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
are you sure? the last suggestions should deffinitely work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, Im positive. I hit the f2 and nothing happens. the screen on the laptop is still distorted and I cant see anything
Expert:  RussellA replied 6 years ago.
You have to press OPTION (on the keyboard) and F2