Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have an Imac about four years old with a 10.4.11 OS. Within

Customer Question

I have an Imac about four years old with a 10.4.11 OS. Within the last week a broad band of multicoloured vertical 'shivering' strips occupying about one quarter of the screen appears. This significantly partially blocks out the windows. After about ten minutes the these disappear leaving eight multicoloured vertical hairlines occupying the same area but really not causing any serious visual impairment.
The latter I can live with but I am concerned that the problem is in fact hardware damage and will become chronic and eventually spread to affect the whole screen. Has anyone experienced this sympton and if so can anything be done about it other than replacement. Is it the result of a virus or other kind of malware.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
The screen artifacts that you are experiencing is indications of graphics card failure and or logic board failure.
The people you talked to at the local Apple store are indeed correct in that you need to take it into them.
The repair is relatively inexpensive and much less expensive than a replacement.
An alternative is to call Apple support at 1.800.275.2273, it is very possible that they will send you what is known as a happy box, you place your machine and that and they ship it back to you fixed.

Daniel :

There are no software fixes or resets that will do anything for this.
I do agree though that your best option is to have someone help you take it into the Apple store, that will be your best option.
From there they take care of all shipping for repair, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the cost.