Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

1. systems preferences wont open even though I deleted the

1. systems preferences won't open even though I deleted the file home/library/systemspreference.phis__2. time machine won't open even though when I connected an external hard drive it asked "Do you want to use this disk as your back up" When I try to open TIme machine it goes to the screen "Set up time machine" when I cntrl/click nothing happens.__Many thanks for any XXXXXXXXXXX__XXXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
Please tell me what version of OS X you have.

Customer :

Daniel :

What version of OS X do you have on the troubled Mac?

Customer :

Hello Dan,

Customer :

Thank you for your prompt reply. I don't know what OS X system I have as the laptop, is at home. I bought it less than 3 years ago Macbook 15"

Daniel :

Can you see what I am sending?

Customer :

Hector

Daniel :

This will be much easier if you and the MacBook are together so what we do can happen in real time.

Customer :

Customer :

I will bring my laptop to work tomorrow. You are quite correct it is better that you guide a non-expert through the process rather than tell me. Chat tomorrow.

Customer :

Regards

Customer :

Hector

Daniel :

That works for me, until then.

Customer :

I now have my laptop at work the Mac Os X versioin is 10.5.8

Customer :

I look forward to hearing from you further

Customer :

Hector

Daniel :

Hello Hector, I have to look back through what we have talked about to this point.

Daniel :

System preferences will not open at all, is this correct? Even though you select it from the Apple menu?

Daniel :

Do you have your installation disk by chance?

Daniel :

If you have your installation disk then you can use this utility to extract just System Preferences and reinstall it.

Pacifist

make sure you read the documentation very well because if you don't do it the way it wants you to it doesn't work.

Customer :

Hi , Thank you. I will look for my installation disk and re-install it . Will this also overcome the problem of TIme Machine not opening?

Daniel :

If it is a problem with the System Prefs it will. If it is something else it won't but one step at a time.

Customer :

Hi Many thanks. The problem arose because I wanted to back up my computer after a friend had theirs stolen. The directions were to go to Syustems preferences open click on the time machine logo click open and the time Machine would automatically back up.

Customer :

As I could not open Sytems preferences I tried to open TIme Machine form applicaitons without success. Will try re-installing Systems preferences.

Customer :

Many thanks for your answer which I accept

Customer :

Hector

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.