Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi Linksys, I would like to talk in person (and am willing

Customer Question

Hi Linksys,
I would like to talk in person (and am willing to pay a reasonable fee) to be guided through the procedure described below (as I have made numerous unsuccessful attempts to follow online instructions).
Thanks!
Hugh Johnson XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX

What is the step-by-step procedure to follow to have my Linksys Wireless-G PrintServer (Model WPSM54G) communicate successfully between my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.5.8) and my Brother HL-5250DN multi-purpose printer? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX will stay with you until the problem is resolved.

Daniel :

First, please understand that this is not LinkSys support. I can help you with this in all likelthood.

Daniel :

The print server that you have, according to the website, has support for Windows and does not mention Mac.
Printers are quite easy to add in OS X and this should be the same. This PDF shows you how for all types of printer and ways to connect them, some details will differ but careful reading of the info in the windows will reveal the correct procedure.
Adding Printers

Daniel :

Hugh, I cannot talk directly to you as it is against Just Answer policy.

Customer :

For several years I have used this printer (Brother HL-5250DN Multi-Purpose Monochrome printer) with this very same MacBook Pro. If I cannot talk with someone, In do not see how it is going to work. But I am willing to try if yu are. Also, I undserstand no ayment required if propblem b not solved

Customer :

It is my understand that thee will be no charges. It is the PrinterServer (Linksys Wireless-G PrintServer (Model: WPSM54G) I do not know how to operate. Help!

Daniel :

How did you use this printer in the past? Did you have it connected via USB?

Customer :

Yes.

Daniel :

From what I see at the Brother web site for this printer it is already for networking without a print server.
You should be able to use an ethernet cable (Cat5) from the printer to the wireless router (the LinkSys) and your Mac can find it.

Daniel :

Allready ready for networking.

Daniel :

Do you have the user manual that came with the printer?

Daniel :

This is the PDF manual for using the networking features built into that printer.
http://www.brother-usa.com/Manual/NUM_HL_5250DN_5250DNT_EN_1298.PDF

Customer :

I I connected the

Daniel :

It even has instructions for OS X.

Customer :

I connected the wireless router and the printer using an ethernet cable and attempted to print without success.

Customer :

Using the USb ports on the printer and the computer I just printed. I have a installation Guide but not a manual for the printer\

Daniel :

There is more to it than just connecting the cable. Read how to make the Mac see it in this PDF.Adding Printers

Customer :

If I click your Adding Printer link, up pos a meassae tyhat says I will leave this web page chatting with you. How will I get back to you

Daniel :

Ok, two ways. one is to bookmark this page and the second is try this link (click here) instead.

Customer :

I tried the second method and got a blank untitled web page. I have your page as a book mark and will now try the 1st alternative.

Daniel :

I just tried it and there is a blank page and then it will open in Preview or Acrobat reader.

Customer :

What did you try choice 1 or choice 2?

Customer :

I tred choisce 2 again and have a blank page. How long do I wait for it to open in Preview or Acrobat?

Daniel :

It should do so right away.

Daniel :

Let me try a different way.

Customer :

OK

Daniel :

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

That is basicly what is in the PDF.

Customer :

I do not understand why I am adding a printer when the printer I want to run is already a listed printer which I have use virtually everyday for more than 2 years.

Daniel :

Because you are changing the way you connect to the printer.

Customer :

In selecting the printer from the list the web site provides, there a several variations of the Brother HL-5250DN p[rinter. Which do I select?

Daniel :

Let me look, I do need a moment.

Daniel :

You want the one for 10.5, the first in the list should be fine nut since it printed fine before it may do so once you have added the printer to the system. What I mean is the drivers that are already in your Mac should work.
At the bottom of the list is a firmware update that you may want to instal on the printer, make sur eyou read and follow thier instructions carefully for that.

Customer :

I am sorry, I do not know what you are telling me to do.

Customer :

1. i. HL-5250DN BR-Script 3

2. ii. HL-5250DN BR-Scrip 3

3. iii. HL-5250DN Series CUP

HL-5250DN Series CUPS v1.1

Customer :

1. HL-5250DN BR-Script 3HL-5250DN BR-Scrip 3

2. iii. HL-5250DN Series CUP

HL-5250DN Series CUPS v1.1

Customer :

1. i. HL-5250DN BR-Script 3

2. ii. HL-5250DN BR-Scrip 3

3. iii. HL-5250DN Series CUP

4 HL-5250DN Series CUPS v1.1 I cannot install any of the 4 listed printers. I get Error 30886 message

Customer :

Sorry for the3 garbled messages I a cannot install

Customer :

HL-5250DN BR-Script 3

HL-5250DN BR-Scrip 3

HL-5250DN Series CUP

HL-5250DN Series CUPS v1.1

Daniel :

The software will not install on your Mac?

Daniel :

Have you tried adding the printer without downloading the drivers?

Customer :

I think that is it don't know what you mean

Customer :

How would I do that?

Daniel :

These are the instructions directly from Brother, give it a try without downloading any thing.

1. Turn off and unplug the machine from the AC outlet and disconnect it from your Macintosh® if you already connected an interface cable.

2. Connect the network interface cable to the machine, and then connect it to a free port on your hub.

3. Plug the AC power cord into an AC outlet. Turn on the machine.

4. Turn on your Macintosh®.

5. Select "System Preferences" from the Apple Menu.

6. Click the "Print & Fax" icon.

7. Click the "+" button which is located below the "Printers" section.

8. Click the "Default" icon which is located at the top of the dialog box.

9. Select your machine from the "Printer Name" list.

10. Make sure that "XXXXXXX + CUPS" is selected in the "Print Using" list. (Where XXXXXXX is your model name.)

11. Click "Add". The printer is now available in the "Print & Fax" list.

12. Select "Quit System Preferences" from the Apple Menu. The setup is now complete.

Customer :

1. I now have 2 printers with thew same name. Can I change the name of one to HL-5250 Wireless? 2. It appears I have to keep the ethernet cable connected to the MacBook and the Router (a long and inconvenient distance). The whole point of buying the Linksys Wireless-G PrintServer (Model WPSM54G) was so that the Brother 5250 Multi-Purpose Printer did not have to be connected to the MacBook or the Router). That is the way it worked for many months before the equipment (MacBook, Router, PrintServer & Printer) were moved and the cords and cables were temporarily disconnected).

Daniel :

You can change the name where you added the printer, as for the cable it goes from the router to the printer not from the Mac to the router or the printer.
Like you said, the point is to make it wireless and by plugging it into the Linksys router and adding it to the print system it does that.

Daniel :

I see, you want to make it all wireless, I do not think that print server will work for you as there is no real support for Mac.

Daniel :

My system uses an Apple Airport Extreme that my USB printers (3) plug into, I can print from anywhere, even if I am not on my own network.
I assume that your router is nowhere near the printer, is this corrrect?

Daniel :

I am sorry, the way to rename the printer is to click on 'Option and Supplies', in that window you can assign a name and location.

Customer :

It looks like I will be unable to work on this today.

Daniel :

That is OK, whenever you are able I will be here, I may be delayed in replying as I also help others and may be busy. I will watch for you.

Customer :

Thanks

Daniel :

Welcome