R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

I have itunes installed on my portable hard drive for my PC

Customer Question

I have itunes installed on my portable hard drive for my PC laptop running XP Pro.
My Laptop is losing it's hard drive. I am not able to keep Itunes open as the computer keeps shutting down my usb ports.
So I took my portable hard drive and connect to another PC and tried to run the executable but I get an error message telling me to reinstall Itunes.
I am sure it has something to do with Itunes needing to know it is on the same computer with MAC address or whatever but I can't run off that computer anymore.
Is there anyway I can keep my itunes intact (data) and get it running on another computer?
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this.

There is a way to transfer your iTunes library to a new computer, but you will need to install iTunes on the new computer first. There are some configuration changes that need to be made to iTunes once it is reinstalled, so that the playlists can be transferred. Transferring the playlists is far more complicated than just transferring the files, so if you need to copy the playlists, let me know and I'll be happy to help you with that.

If you just want to transfer the music and are willing to re-create the playlists, just copy the music into the new iTunes library location once iTunes is installed on the new computer (typically in your My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes folder). If you need the library to be stored elsewhere, let me know and I'll be happy to help you with changing the location of the library.
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try what you suggest and let you know if I need any further help.

Thanks
No problem. If you have any trouble at all, let me know. I'll be glad to lend a hand.