Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Experience:  Mac/iOS Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree

Mail cannot connect to the Google account Gmail

Customer Question

I can't access my Gmail account on iPhone or MacBook as of last night. Tried everything; all settings are correct. Went to Apple store - tried accessing on different computers; no luck. Error message is Cannot Get Mail the connection to the server "" failed.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

When you attempt to log in at ( what is the exact error message?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can access my Gmail account via without problem. I cannot access it via the "mail" app on my iPhone or MacBook laptop. When I try to log into either one of those two, it states "Cannot Get Mail the connection to the server "" failed."

On the MacBook, when I troubleshoot, it shows that the outgoing server is ok but the incoming is not.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.

Okay, just to verify, have you ever been able to access your Gmail on the iPhone/MacBook?

If not, you may need to enable the Forwarding/POP feature.

Log into your Gmail account through (, click on Settings in the top navigation bar, and then go to Forwarding and POP. Be sure that Enable POP for all mail and Enable IMAP are selected here. Click Save Changes.

Now, from your iPhone, go to Settings -> Mail, Calendar, and Contacts -> Add Account -> Gmail and follow the wizard to complete the setup.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I've been using Gmail on my iPhone and MacBook since I purchased them! There has never been a problem until yesterday afternoon. I double checked the settings as did the individual helping me at the Apple store - POP and IMAP are enabled. Still doesn't work.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.

Have you tried removing the accounts from your iPhone/MacBook, rebooting the device (clear the item from memory), then once rebooted, adding the account back and trying again?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes and that didn't work either. It’s as if all of a sudden the Gmail/imap server just quit working on my iPhone/MacBook. The last email I received on the MacBook was at 1:28pm yesterday and the last one on the iPhone was at 7:28pm last night.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 6 years ago.

It is possible that there may be an issue with your account. You will need to contact Google via their online form.

Go to the Gmail support site (, under Your Account select Logging In, and then find an issue under Troubleshooting that enables the Contact Us feature at the bottom of the form. From there, you can detail the information you have faced, with the problem in detail, the steps you have taken, when it last worked, etc. And then click Submit.

You can also try the Google Help Forum (http%DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/support/forum/p/Gmail/ask%3Fhl%3Den).

I believe this is a Google exclusive issue, not anything on your Mac or iPhone.

Google will need to resolve this issue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took off the account on my MacBook and then put it back on a few minutes ago. For some unknown reason, it finally took it! It seems to be working ok. I'm going to try the same thing with my iphone again and see if it will now take it.