Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

I keep my iTunes app on an external drive (G ) and a shortcut

Customer Question

I keep my iTunes app on an external drive (G:) and a shortcut to it on my desktop. Last night I clicked on the shortcut without the G: drive attached to the PC. Now, when I try to access iTunes on G:, all my songs are gone. FYI, I store all my music in folders outside of iTunes on the G: drive. Wha' happen'd?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and Thank You for allowing me assist you with your question today!

Customer :

hi

Richard :

Turn off your computer then attach your external drive and turn your computer back on. Now test and let me know if we

Richard :

need to take further measures. Thank you! :)

Richard :

Hello

Customer :

okay. I'll be back in a minute....i'll bookmark this page.

Richard :

i'll wait for you here

Richard :

:)

Customer :

okay, i just restarted my pc, now i'll try plugging the G: back in...

Customer :

no luck. It didn't make any difference.

Richard :

no

Richard :

you want to plug the drive in before you start your PC

Customer :

okay...i'll try that.

Richard :

shut down your PC and then plug the drive in. Also, if it has an external power supply make SURE it's plugged in too.

Richard :

did you get all of that?

Customer :

got it. i'm back now. Let me try iTunes...

Richard :

should work :)

Customer :

no. no difference. i had high hopes for it too.

Richard :

if not, make a new shortcut

Richard :

you corrupted the logical link when you unplugged the hard drive

Customer :

i didnt use a shortcut. I tried opening it from windows explorer.

Richard :

also, do you see lights on the external drive?

Customer :

lights on

Richard :

ok

Richard :

try plugging the hard drive into another pc and see if you can see the data

Richard :

also, is the hard drive making any strange noises?

Customer :

Do i need to do that if I can see the data thru windows explorer? (No, no strange noises.)

Richard :

so you can see the data now?

Richard :

on this computer?

Customer :

yes. i have 3 folders on my G drive

Customer :

1) iPod

Customer :

2)iTunes

Richard :

who setup your iTunes configuration?

Customer :

3) music - that's where I keep all my mp3s and they're still there

Customer :

me

Richard :

good

Richard :

well, then just redo what you did when you first set it up

Customer :

i have 16,000 mp3s and 200+ playlists. Care to help?

Richard :

also, make SURE you have anti-virus software and it is up-to-date.

Customer :

i do, it is.

Richard :

not sure what you are asking

Richard :

you setup iTunes, right?

Customer :

well, the reason why i contacted you is that i'm trying to avoid having to reinstall iTunes. With all my files and playlists, it would take weeks to get it back the way i want it.

Richard :

you should have to

Richard :

but I don't know if you've provided me with all of what happened

Richard :

I would also suggest getting away form Vista and going to Win&

Richard :

Win7

Customer :

i dont know what else i can tell you

Richard :

have you run any malware programs on your PC?

Customer :

yes. it runs automatically

Richard :

what program is it?

Customer :

panda

Richard :

did you try a system restore?

Customer :

i dont know if i want to do that. and remember, the problem is on my external drive.

Richard :

no it's not

Customer :

??

Richard :

listen, i'm going to opt out and have someone else assist you.