RussellA
RussellA, Systems Engineer
Experience:  From windows, to linux, to mac, I know it all.
46950319

we have three windows PC and two apple laptops. I initially

Customer Question

we have three windows PC and two apple laptops. I initially used windows printer sharing to get all the PCs to print but the apple laptops had to walk over to the printer, plug in their printer cable, print, unplug their cable and reconnect the PC cable. pain in the butt. so, I decided to get a little wired print server (had read the wireless ones weren't as good...). I've gotten the PCs all connected; that was pretty easy. The laptops, however, see the printer port sitting out there and I can create a printer using that port but when I try to print nothing happens and the OS returns a very generic error message after a long timeout.

One laptop is MAC OS X 10.5 the other is MAC OS X 10.6. I spoke with tech support for the print server and they suggested checking on the canon website for a network printer driver for the MAC, which actually exists (for X 10.6 not 10.5). So, I've installed the driver and that's where it gets ugly. Documentation on what to do from there is vague at best. So I'm stuck and don't know how to connect the MAC(s) to the print server. Also, need to know if I can/should upgrade the 10.5 to 10.6 (to allow me to install the network printer driver)
Category: Mac
Expert:  RussellA replied 3 years ago.

This Should Help!

Adding an IP printer

An IP printer is a network printer that uses TCP/IP protocols (such as LPD/LPR, IPP, or Socket or Jet Direct) to communicate with your computer. If the IP printer you want to use isn’t listed when you print, you can add it to your list of available printers.

To add an IP printer, you need to know its IP address or DNS name.

To add an IP printer:

Step 1

Choose File > Print, and then choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu.

Step 2

Click IP in the toolbar of the dialog that appears.

Step 3

Choose the appropriate printing protocol from the Protocol pop-up menu.

Step 4

Type the IP address or DNS name for the printer in the Address field.

Step 5

If your printer requires it, type the queue name for your printer in the Queue Name field. If you don’t know the queue name, see your network administrator for assistance.

Step 6

Enter a name and location for the printer, so you can identify it in the Printer pop-up menu.

Step 7

If the Print Using pop-up menu doesn’t display the name of your printer’s model, choose the item appropriate for your printer from the Print Using pop-up menu, and then select your printer in the Model Name list.

Step 8

Click Add.

Your computer can usually detect whether a printer has special accessories installed, such as additional paper trays, extra memory, or a duplex unit. If it can’t, a dialog appears that lets you specify them. Make sure the settings in that dialog accurately reflect your printer’s installed accessories so you can take full advantage of them.

Edited by RussellA on 9/1/2010 at 2:45 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried this workflow for the Default, IP, and AppleTalk configuration.

Default actually creates the printer when I give it the IP address. A print job spools then times out with error 311. no other useful information given about the message other than "fix the problem and try again".

IP crashes the installer as it tries to identify the settings for the printer.

AppleTalk sees the port but never connects to determine what the printer is. I can select one manually and it will create the printer but does the same as Default - print job spools then times out trying to connect.

Expert:  RussellA replied 3 years ago.
  • Do you remember if you created a Queue Name?
  • What is the exact model of your print server device?

Edited by RussellA on 9/2/2010 at 2:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the MAC, I left the queue name blank for the "default" in the IP setup. There was no setting on the print server for a queue name, although the manual for the print server indicated you could specify a queue name (along with two other items).

The print server is a Buffalo Network USB 2.0 Print Server. The manual is available online and is exactly the same as the one in the box, including the discrepancy on the AppleTalk setup dialog box. The tech support guy at Buffalo did not seem to be Apple literate. www.buffalotech.com

Maybe there is another manufacturer of print server that is better prepared to work with MACs?

Expert:  RussellA replied 3 years ago.

Have you made sure to have Rendezvous Service Enabled?

Page 7 of the manual mentions:(and page 21 for web based configuration)

If there are Macintosh computers on the network that wish to use the

printer, then enter a ‘Rendezvous Service Name' in the field and press

the ‘OK' button. This name is XXXXX XXXXX name Mac users will see

when installing their printer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no entry field for the Rendezvous Service Name in either the configuration program delivered or the web based interface - regardless of what the manual says. I have checked both places and the tech support guy at Buffalo was a bit surprised it wasn't there.

Where is the Rendezvous Service Enabled? On the MAC or the print server? I don't see anywhere to do that on the print server.

Expert:  RussellA replied 3 years ago.

You should define this in the Print Server. This can be found on page 21 for web based configuration of your buffalo print server.