John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I am using Excel 2008 on a Mac and I am trying to have information

Customer Question

I am using Excel 2008 on a Mac and I am trying to have information entered on the 1st worksheet populate cells on another worksheet.
The 1st wksht is named Entry Tab. The names of the other wkshts correspond to names on the drop-down list that populate col:A of the 1st wksht, named Entry Tab. The drop-down list is named Product.
Example: If CRVI is selected from the drop-down list in col:A on Entry Tab, I would like the info entered in that row in col:D–col:J to populate cells in the wksht named CRVI in col:B–col:H, including any blank cells.
I would like to, at some time, be able to delete entries made on Entry Tab while retaining that info posted to the other wkshts.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Since Excel 2008 cannot run VBA macros, so we are confined to using formulas. If you could send me the file I will take a look at it and let you know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can I attach the excel doc in this message?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there. You will then get a page that has the File ID and Download Link. Copy either the File ID or the Download Link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information you can either replace the sensitive data with dummy values, or let me know before you upload it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The file ID is 447428
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Got it, thanks.

There seem to be some inconsistencies between the sheet names as they appear ion the sheets tabs and the names in the drop down list. They should match 100% in order for it work Do you want to fix the names and send it back or would you like me to do that myself.

Edited by John D on 8/31/2010 at 8:58 PM EST
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I had to correct the drop down list source data so it matches 100% the worksheet names

Here you go

FILE

The formulas are in the yellow cells on the Entry Tab worksheet

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for finding the inconsistencies. I found a few more in the list names that I used in the indirect validation function that I had setup in col:E. Is there a way to reestablish that function for that column and the validation functions that were in columns H and J?
I took it for a spin but could not get the cells on the Entry Tab wksht to populate their corresponding cells on the wksht defined by the Product in col:A.
I have uploaded the file at wikisend with file ID 968922.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do, you seem to have typed data in the cells that have formulas thus erasing the formulas. Of course the formulas won't work any more because there are no more formulas in these cells. I am referring to the data that you have entered in rows 6 and 7.

If you want me to reinstate the formulas in these rows so they will pull the information from the relevant sheet let me know.

Please don't forget to click ACCEPT as this is the only way I get credit for helping. I will of course continue to assist if you need further assistance or if you have any question.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Entry Tab wksht is the wksht that will be the point at which all data will be entered. As a Product is selected in col:A, I would like information to be posted to the wksht with the name that corresponds to the product selected in col:A. (After looking at other functions, I think that what I am attempting is like a comboBox function for the Entry Tab wksht.)
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I don't understand.

If you want me to continue on this part please remember to click the accept button.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

In the file that I sent you there are formulas in columns D thru J on the 'Entry Tab' sheet. These formulas read the selected Product in column A, and read the Page # XXXXX column C, then it will go to that Product sheet and look for that Page # XXXXX that sheet. If it finds a match it will pull the information from that row on the Product sheet and places that information in the corresponding column on the Entry Tab sheet.

Please review the above procedure and let me know which part, if any, you want me to modify.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have edited my original message to try to clarify my intent.
I am trying to have information entered on the 1st worksheet (Entry Tab) and eventually have that data populate cells on another worksheet.
The 1st wksht is named Entry Tab. Users will not be entering info on any other wksht. The names of the other wkshts correspond to names on the drop-down list that populate col:A of the 1st wksht. The drop-down list is named Product.
Example: If CRVI is selected from the drop-down list in col:A on the Entry Tab wksht, I would like all info entered in that row, in col:D–col:J, (Lsn #, Element, Description, Date, Contributor, Notes, and Status), to eventually populate cells in the wksht named CRVI in col:B–col:H, (Lsn #, Element, Description, Date, Contributor, Notes, and Status), including any blank cells.
I would like to, at some time, be able to delete the user's entries made on the Entry Tab wksht while retaining that info on the CRVI wkshts.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

I see. Ok so it is the other way around. The Products sheets should populate with data from the Entry Tab.

Ok in which row on each sheet would that data go. For example if you enter the following data on the Entry tab:

column A --> CRVI

column C --> 0056

in which row would the data go on sheet CRVI? will it be added to the bottom of the list (i.e. row 124), or will it replace any existing Pg # XXXXX ? or where?

Edited by John D on 9/1/2010 at 10:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The page number is XXXXX only data that would not populate the related wksht.
I would like all info entered on the Entry Tab in col:D–col:J - (Lsn #, Element, Description, Date, Contributor, Notes, and Status) - to eventually populate cells in the next available row on wksht named CRVI in col:B–col:H - (Lsn #, Element, Description, Date, Contributor, Notes, and Status) - including any blank cells.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information

Ok the only way that can be done is with a macro, and that because the result needs to be placed not in a fixed cell or row but rather into a variable location (e.g. first available row), and formulas can only return data in their own cells (i.e. cannot place data in other cells). I have however written the macro for that hoping you will be able to run in on Excel 2004 or another version of Excel (as I mentioned before Excel 2008 does not support vba macros).

Here is the file with the macro embedded in the Entry Tab sheet

XLSM version:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uyxcri

(the download link is at the bottom of the page)

XLS version:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lbctfn

The macro is automatically triggered when the user changes the Product in any row on Entry Tab. So you need to first fill out the data in columns D thru J, then select the Product from the drop down list in column A. The macro will then copy the data from that row into the first available row of the selected sheet.

To access the macro right click on the sheet's tab at the bottom and choose View Code

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome. Feel free to get back to me if you need further assistance with this