R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

I changed the password in my aol account but the problem still

Customer Question

I changed the password XXXXX my aol account but the problem still exists....did I do something wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 4 years ago.
I apologize, but the Terms of this site do not allow us to contact you by telephone.

I am unfamiliar with the problem that you are having. If you describe it, I'll be glad to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I open Mail.....my aol folders on the left have disappeared and some of my emails are going into my trash folder. They told me to change my aol password XXXXX the problem still exists
Which version of OS X are you using? If you click on the Apple menu, you can select "About This Macintosh" and it will tell you. That will help with the specifics of looking for your lost folders.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.6.4
Within Mail:

1. Click on Preferences
2. Click on Accounts
3. Select the AOL account
4. Click on the Advanced tab and disable the account
5. Save the settings and close Preferences
6. Quit out of Mail and then restart it
7. Go back and re-enable the account

Let me know if you're still having trouble after this and we'll see what we can come up with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Folders are still not there......
In that case, they're gone, unless you have Time Machine (or some other backup software) enabled and running.

If you do, I'll be glad to help you with the steps to restore the folders. Otherwise they're gone.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I log onto aol.com....the folders are there
OK. Then we need to see how you connect to AOL when you use Mail.

Within Mail:

1. Click on Preferences
2. Click on Accounts
3. Select the AOL account
4. Click Edit
5. Look for the Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server
6. Let me know what they are set to
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Incoming is grey.......it faintly says mail.me.com
Outgoing says smtp.me.com:acare008155
That's not what AOL's settings should be. Those are the settings for Apple's Mobile Me service. Do you use Mobile Me to check your AOL email?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I do not....how can we fix this?
First, do you use Apple's Mobile Me service at all? I wouldn't want to have you delete the information for this connection if you're using the service.

I apologize for the delay that this causes, but I'd rather not loose any accounts that you need.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did answer you on this. No I do not use Mobile Me.......I see it in my mailboxes. I only use Aol
OK, then here's how to fix this:

Within Mail:

1. Click on Preferences
2. Click on Accounts
3. Highlight the AOL account and click Delete, following the prompts until you are back at the Accounts window
3. Click on Create Account
4. Select IMAP under Account Type
5. In the Description field type "AOL Email"
6. In the Email Address field type in your complete AOL email address
7. In the Incoming Server box type imap.aol.com
8. In the User Name box type your AOL screen name (email address without the "@aol.com" portion)
9. In the Password box enter your AOL password
10. In the Outgoing Server box type smtp.aol.com
11. Put a check mark in the Use authentication when sending mail box
12. In the SMTP User box type your AOL screen name
13. In the SMTP Password box type your AOL password
14. Click on the Account Options tab
15. Make sure that the Enable this Account and Include this account when checking for new email boxes are checked
16. In the Message Caching box click Cache all messages locally
17. In the Connect to server using port box type 587
18. Click the OK button
19. Back out to the main Mail window
20. Try your AOL email

Let me know if this has any trouble and I'll be glad to work with you on it. It may take your AOL email a while to synchronize with Mac Mail on your computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is no "create account" window
Then select Create Account from the File menu and continue from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is too confusing to me.....I lost the aol mail is trying to do what you instructed me to do. I don't know how I did it but I got back aol mail
there are things you are asking me to click on but they are just not there........
Well, we'll have to take this step-by-step, then. It will take a bit longer, but I'm up for it if you are.

What is the first step that I have asked you to take that did not appear as I described it? What other options are on your screen instead of the ones I described?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...that is very kind of you but, I am running out to an appointment. I will contact you when I return in a few hours. Is that ok?
That's just fine. Be safe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you here tomorrow? I do not have time now and I am going to another appointment soon
I will check in at least once between 08:00 and 13:00 PST tomorrow. If I see a posting from you, I'll make a point of responding.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are the best!!!!
Thank you so much......
You're most welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am here if and when you are ready to proceed.....
Somehow I missed this. I'll keep an eye online and try and catch you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok...can you help me now?
Here I am
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...what shall I do?
From the set of steps that I described, what is the first step that I asked you to take that did not appear as I described it? What other options are on your screen instead of the ones I described?

I'm copying the list below, so that you don't have to search for it:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Within Mail:

1. Click on Preferences
2. Click on Accounts
3. Click on Create Account
4. Select IMAP under Account Type
14. Click on the Account Options tab
18. Click the OK button
19. Back out to the main Mail window
20. Try your AOL email
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It will not respond to "delete"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it does not respond to "delete"
OK, do you have the AOL account highlighted when you do this? If so, there are other things to try. Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it is blue
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if I delete aol...how will I be able to communicate with you?
This account isn't working currently and is just information that your computer can use (theoretically - since it isn't working now) to get your AOL email through the Mail program, instead of having to use AOL webmail.

OK, with the AOL account highlighted, look for a button just to the right labeled Advanced and click on it (it should be the rightmost of the Account Information, Mailbox Behaviors, and Advanced set).

If the button isn't there, let me know.

If the button is there, uncheck Enable this account and Include when automatically checking for new mail.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok done....now what???
Now, try to continue from step #3 above. Let me know if you have any more trouble.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is no "create account"
Are there a plus and minus mark in the lower left corner of the window? If so, click the plus mark, as it should be the same thing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok....it shows my aol screen name do I click on add new account it says this account AOL already has a host name and user name
Sure. Go ahead and do so. I'm not 100% sure on what's happening, but if you get an error, let me know what it says. I'm OK with flying blind for a bit if it gets things moving.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I lost connection to you thru aol on my MAC. I thought that would happen when you asked to uncheck enable.....I am chatting with you on another pc. I completely lost AOL ....how do I get it back on the MAC? A window opened asking t to nter password XXXXX account "aol" mail. It says the MobileMe IMAP server :mail.me.com rejected the password XXXXX user kizzo300
If that's the case, the you are using Apple's Mobile Me service. You can continue with account setup, as we were describing, and it should have you connected directly to your AOL email, instead of going through Apple's service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put AOL back on my MAC I am at MobileMe IMAP on this page?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry.....my question is can I just delete it here on accounts?
You should be able to. Go ahead and try it and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

on accounts page it is asking me for the IMAP Path Prefix...and authentification password. The port is 143

AOL and AOL IMAP are highlighted in Blue

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, I lost AOL in my mailbox section on my MAC but emails are coming in......
Was this on you existing AOL account configuration, or have you started a new one and the old one is still disabled? Do you have other mail accounts listed under Accounts in the Mail program?

I'm hoping we're still in the Mail program. I've not seen an IMAP Path Prefix option in these screens before, but try leaving it empty (assuming that it is). Your authentication password XXXXX be your AOL password.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no idea. I am totally at a loss here. Can you get me my AOL account back. When I try to ADD ACCOUNT it tells me it already exists but why is it now on the left under mailboxes like it used to be. they are all gone MobileMe Mail and AOL but I am still getting emails I am so frustrated with this.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just went on AOL Desktop and the folders have vanished from there now too.......this is horrible. They are very important business folders......what can I do now?
It sounds pretty frustrating. Yuck.

If you're still willing to work with me, I'm glad to work with you on this, as long as it takes. If so, go ahead and quit the Mail program and restart your Mac. You may need to check your email in AOL's webmail (I've linked this text to it, just in case), but we should be able to continue. The reason that I ask that you close Mail and restart your computer is that you are still receiving email, and as far as I can tell you don't have a mail account configured. There's a possibility that Mail hasn't cleared the settings for the account information that you deleted and I would like to make sure that it's flushed from the system (which restarting the computer should do).

When you're done with the restart, open Mail and click on Mail on the menu bar at the top of the screen and select Preferences from the drop-down menu.

In the Preferences window, click on Accounts at the top and let me know which accounts, if any, are listed in the column on the left side of the window. This will help a bunch with figuring out what is going on.

I appreciate your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok...emails are there and listed in the left is:

AOL

AOL IMAP

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Incoming mai; server says.....imap.aol.com

outgoing mail server says....smtp.aol.com:kizzo300

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more thing.....Description says AOL....should it say AOL IMAP? the Account type says AOL IMAP
Go ahead and select AOL (click to highlight it), the press the minus mark in the lower left corner of the screen and confirm any messages that ask you to confirm the removal of the account. Do the same for the AOL IMAP account.

When no accounts appear on the left anymore, press the plus mark button in the lower left corner of this window and describe for me what pops up, as thoroughly as possible.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Add Account

You will be guided through the steps to set up an account

To get started, provide the following information

Full Name

Email Address

Password

Ok, enter your name, AOL email address, and password, then click Continue.

On the next screen, next to Account Type, select IMAP in the drop-down menu.

In the Description field, put New AOL IMAP.

In the Incoming Server field, type imap.aol.com
In the User Name box type your AOL screen name (email address without the "@aol.com" portion)

In the Password box enter your AOL password

Then click Continue and describe the next window that comes up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is asking for outgoing Mail server description...what is it?

Outgoing Mail Server says smtp.aol.com

For the Outgoing Mail Server Description, type AOL Outgoing Email

Put a check mark in the Use Authentication box

In the Username box type your AOL screen name (without the "@aol.com")

In the Password box type your AOL password

Click Continue and describe the next window that pops up.

(We're getting close now...)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I close mail and open it. Inbox is there with my emails AOL does not appear on the left
OK, click on Mail on the menu bar at the top of the screen and select Preferences from the drop-down menu.

In the Preferences window, click on Accounts at the top and let me know which accounts, if any, are listed in the column on the left side of the window (there should only be the one named New AOL IMAP)

I know this is a bit repetitive, but we need to make 100% sure that this is all setup correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

New Aol Imap

Aol Imap

Click once (to highlight it) on AOL IMAP, then click on the minus sign in the lower left corner of this window and confirm anything that you have to to delete it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
done. I just had to click on remove
Excellent. Click on New AOL IMAP once to highlight it, then click on the Account Information tab.

From the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) drop-down list, choose Edit SMTP Server List.

Click the Advanced tab, then click the radio button in front of Use custom port. Type the number 587 into the empty field, the click OK.

Back out to the main Mail window and close Mail, then open it again and let me know how we're doing.
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no New Aol Imap you had me delete it!!!!
Is AOL IMAP still there? If so, it should have been deleted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in account summery where is says SSL in both outgoing and imcoming mail it says off

I closed Mail and reopened it. Emails are there but no AOL in the left

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it is not there

I'm a bit confused then. You indicated that there were two email accounts the last time that we looked here (New AOL IMAP and AOL IMAP). What are the names of the accounts, at this time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I highlighted it, both accounts get highlighted and were deleted. they could not be separated
So there are no accounts listed at all, at this time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct but in the Inbox I am getting emails
I noticed that you accepted an answer. Did you mean to do this? Is it working to your satisfaction now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No i didn't mean to do that.......what are we going to do now?
I can continue to help you.

I'm a little concerned that Mail is still receiving incoming email, even with all accounts removed. Could you try to exit Mail and then open it again? I'd like to see if there are still no accounts listed in Preferences and if Mail is still receiving email. If it is, there's something really wierd going on. If it isn't, then the preferences just hadn't been made permanent yet. In either event, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In the left, AOL and AOL IMAP are listed
Wow. What the heck?

I'm a little lost here. I have no idea why these two keep reappearing. If you explore their settings, do the continue to make references to Apple's Mobile Me service?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't understand your question....how o you explore their settings?
My apologies.

Click on either AOL or AOL IMAP once to highlight it, then click on the Account Information tab. Look to see what the Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server are set to. Do this for both AOL and AOL IMAP. Both of them should be in the something.aol.com format, but they might say something else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Incoming is imap.aol.com

Outgoing is smtp.aol.com:kizzo300

Which one (AOL or AOL IMAP) is that for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot tell as they are highlighted together
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Account type is AOL IMAP

Description is AOL

Hmmm...

In the Advanced tab, what are your settings there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Enable this account

Include when automatically checking for new messages

nothing in IMAP Path Prefix

Port 143

Authentification....Password

Use IDLE command if the server supports it

Do you have a setting listed in a drop-down box under Keep copies of messages for offline viewing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Can you tell me what it is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All messages and their attachments is checked

I have to stop now. Can we continue on Monday?

Sure. I'll be here after 08:00 PST.

I hope the rest of your weekend goes well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you and you as well.
I'll check back in on you Monday.