Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi Mike, Can you help me with restoring my internal hard drive

Customer Question

Hi Mike, Can you help me with restoring my internal hard drive macbook pro. I created the volume as read only. i've tried commands but it's not working.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

So you want to erase the hard drive and install a new system and then restore from another Mac through Firewire?

Customer:

what ever is easier. I tried both but I'm a noobi

Customer:

I was originally trying to install snow leopard on a macbook pro1.2 intel core duo which was running Tiger. I went into disk utility and copied image of leopard install dvd disc and it created read only volume.

Customer:

I have firewire connection to macbook from imac running snow and i tried booting from imac but it's not reading to macbook

Mike the MacMedic :

Can you completely erase the MacBook drive? Do you need any data on it?

Customer:

its already erased.

Customer:

read only now volume

Mike the MacMedic :

Put the system disk in the laptop and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on Erase and choose the Option to Zero Out all Data. It may take a while but this ensures any bad blocks are mapped out. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install. You should get to a screen where it asks if you want to restore from another Mac, and if the other one is plugged in and in Target Disk Mode you should see it.

Customer:

ok

Mike the MacMedic :

Let me know

Customer:

its almost there

Customer:

ok first screen says select language

Customer:

so i click english

Mike the MacMedic :

Right

Customer:

it takes me to next screen says mac os c cant be installed on this computer if you want to restore click restore from backup or restart

Customer:

i usually click restore and it lets me go into utilities

Mike the MacMedic :

When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on Erase and choose the Option to XXXXX all Data. It may take a while but this ensures any bad blocks are mapped out. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install. You should get to a screen where it asks if you want to restore from another Mac, and if the other one is plugged in and in Target Disk Mode you should see it.

Customer:

do you want me to go to utilities by clicking restore from backup its the only way

Mike the MacMedic :

You don‘t see a Utilities menu at the top?

Customer:

yes its grayed out until I chose restore or restart

Mike the MacMedic :

Is there a back button?

Customer:

ok im in utlilities im doing erase with zero.

Customer:

why cant I install snow from dvd disc on this mac book

Customer:

it says 5 mins till erase is complete

Mike the MacMedic :

What kind of disk is it? Did it come with that computer?

Customer:

It came with my imac i7 new

Customer:

osx x 10.6.2 imac is on disc

Mike the MacMedic :

If it came with the iMac it will not work on the laptop. Sorry I assumed you had a retail version.

Customer:

So I cant install snow from that disc on macbook or ibook running tiger unless I use firewire from imac

Customer:

what steps are next after hard drive is erased? it appears to be taking longer then 5 minutes.

Mike the MacMedic :

No you cannot install at all without a Retail SL Disk, the ones that come with particular Macs only work on those macs.

Customer:

really, so does my macbook core duo support snow? or am I stuck with tiger on this model?

Customer:

ok it says 25min left on erase, what do i do after that?

Mike the MacMedic :

It will work on any Intel Mac. You will have to restart but there is no system until you get the disk. At least you have that part done.

Customer:

It is intel mac . So if I want snow I have to buy macbook disc. I have my Tiger install disc. Can I install that back?

Mike the MacMedic :

Yes you can install Tiger, but to install SL you will need a retail SL disk and that will work with any supported Mac.

Customer:

ok great. so to recap just do clean install on macbook once this erasing is done.

Mike the MacMedic :

Yes you but you don’t have to erase it now since we already did that.

Customer:

ok but in disc utility the zero out is still going can i click skip and just install tiger?

Mike the MacMedic :

No you will have to do it again until it is formatted or you can’t install anything.

Customer:

ok it has 12 min left

Customer:

can i install macbook install disc 10.5. it came with my other laptop which was ibook

Mike the MacMedic :

Worth a try but I think it would have to be a MacBook Pro disk.

Customer:

ok im trying

Mike the MacMedic :

good luck

Customer:

macbook disc didnt work either

Customer:

trying tiger now

Customer:

tiger isnt booting from cd either

Customer:

what do i do now? ugh

Mike the MacMedic :

Is this the Tiger disk that came with the computer? Make sure the disk is clean.