Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.

I keep trying to install quicktime and it keeps telling me

I keep trying to install quicktime and it keeps telling me it is already installed. I can't find it. Where should I be looking?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Steve :

Hi, I can help with this...just a sec.

Steve :

QuickTime installs some behind the scene files but the program is in your Applications folder. It is named QuickTime Player.

Customer:

Sorry. Just scrolled thru finder apps. No quicktime player shown unless it is within some other app.

Steve :

Let's try doing a find...

Steve :

In the Finder do a Command F, that will bring up a find window.

Steve :

Make sure the "file name" choice is selected and type in QuickTime Player. Let's see what shows up.

Steve :

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions.

Customer:

OK I did that and found a gazillion hits on everything from itunes to etc. There is a quick time player but the radio button seems to be blank, Hold on a sec please: (message)You can't use this version of the application QuickTime Player with this version of Mac OS X.

Customer:

Says I have QuickTime player 7.2. I also have flip for Mac. Does that cause a [problem?

Steve :

Hold on, let me look into this for a minute.

Steve :

What version of the Mac OS do you have?

Customer:

10.6.4

Steve :

Let's see if the system's software updater shows that you can get the newer version (what we want is 7.6.6).

Steve :

Go to the Apple Menu and select Software Update...

Steve :

It will take a minute to run and then let me know what you see in the window that needs updating.

Customer:

says my software is up to date. Can I specify qt? somewhere

Steve :

In the Software Update application, check under the Update menu and see if any updates have been ignored.

Customer:

Sorry. You lost me on that one. Where do I find software update app. I looked thru finder apps and the apple icon.

Customer:

4 give me. I had a brainfart. Went to sys pref, gat a long list of "installed software" and an option to update again.

Steve :

Apple Menu > Software Update... launches the program. Then look in the Update menu and see if you and UN-ignore any updates.

Steve :

However, I did some more research and I had a brainfart as well. The current version of QuickTime is 10 not 7.

Steve :

So, your issue if that Player does not show up in the search indicates your Mac OS 10.6.4 update did not complete correctly. Just a second and I'll find the link for that.

Steve :

This will download the entire 10.6 updater for the system. You should not run it unless you have a good backup of your data and have just restarted your system.

Customer:

OK . Good luck to you. If this doesn't work I will come let the air out of your tires. It might take me a while to find you though since I have no idea where you are.

Steve :

;-) I'm going to turn this chat into the traditional Q&A format as you'll be offline for awhile doing that. I'll be notified via email when you get back online and respond again. But before I do...

Steve :

What application was taking you to the site that was asking for a registration number etc.? I should have asked this to begin with.

Customer:

I don't remember.

Steve :

Also, were there any ignored updates?

Steve :

Well hold on then. Let's make sure there is an actual problem. Go to this Web site and see if the QUICKTIME movie will play. http://canvastic.com/canvastic/tour/index.php

Customer:

Well that site is downloading. Looks like it might complete this month. Must be a lot of stuff huh?.

Steve :

The movie page? It should just take a minute or two.

Steve :

Were there any ignored updates?

Customer:

No ignored updates. I got thru canvastic just fine. No movies tho'

Customer:

MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.4.dmg
Still downloading

Steve :

If the movie didn't play automatically, I think you will need to do the 10.6.4 download and install. It will take awhile to download and to install.

Steve :

I'll switch to Q&A now and check back in an hour or so.

Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience: Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am now installing said update. I hope it works. If not I'll just buy then Apple company, and fire Steve Jobs. Or maybe not.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how the update went. You can use that page listed to test QUICKTIME movie playback.
Steve, Mac Help Specialist