Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a Brother MFC 885CW printer. Previously I was using

Customer Question

I have a Brother MFC 885CW printer. Previously I was using it wirelessly through my airport extreme base. Now I can't get it to work. It is asking for a WEP. Can you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

You need to put your Wireless Network encryption key WEP in to the printer to allow it to connect to your network. Do you know what it is?

Customer:

No

Mike the MacMedic :

You need to find that. Open Airport Utility and double click on your Airport Base Station. Then go to the top of the screen to Base Station/Equivalent Network Password. That is your WEP key.

Customer:

I don't find Base Station/Equivalent Network Password. I do find

Customer:

IP address 10.0.1.1

Customer:

Vwesion 7.4.2

Customer:

Airport ID 00:24:36:A8:91:F8

Mike the MacMedic :

At the very top of your monitor you should see Base Station, not in the Airport Utiity Window

Customer:

I still don't know where to look for what you are looking for.

Customer:

I found base station at the top of the monitor but it doesn't have what you are asking for.

Customer:

I did find base station at the top of the monitor but not base station/equivalent network password?

Mike the MacMedic :

With Airport Utility open and logged into your Base Station you should see this:

Full Size Image

Mike the MacMedic :

It’s not even there grayed out?

Customer:

It is greyed out and not available.

Mike the MacMedic :

Then you are not logged into your Base Station you have to double click it on the left in Airport Utiity.

Customer:

there is a password XXXXX I don't know what it is

Customer:

for wireless security there is WPA/WPA2 Personal

Mike the MacMedic :

How was it working before? You say you were going through your Airport Base now you are not?

Customer:

Yes before I was going through Airport base. Then I changed some things. Now i am trying to use the airport base again. It works for internet but I can't get the printer to work.

Mike the MacMedic :

What did you change?

Customer:

My DSL provider said I did not need the base station and to just use the DSL as wireless. i believed him. It worked including the printer. But internet was almost as slow as dialup so I am going back to the airport base station. internet works fine. I just can't get the printer back to whatever the settings were before. When I called Brother they tried to help me but when it wanted some sort of password XXXXX didn't know what it was.

Mike the MacMedic :

You need to turn off wireless on their router.

Mike the MacMedic :

You have two Wireless networks running. Which one are you connected to?

Customer:

Airport has to be connected to the DSL box. How do I turn off wireless on the DSL box?

Mike the MacMedic :

Right don‘t turn the box off, just go into its settings and turn off the Wireless. Usually you can go to the router menu by typing the IP address of your router into your browser.

Customer:

What is the WEP for an airport base station?

Mike the MacMedic :

I don’t know, that is why we were looking for Equivalent Network Password

Customer:

I'm looking for it

Customer:

I turned off the wireless on the DSL box. I am still having no success finding any passwords of getting the printer to work.

Mike the MacMedic :

You can just change it but you need to turn off the other wireless so we know which one we are using.

Customer:

I did turn off the wireless on the DSL box

Customer:

What else do I have to change on that box?

Mike the MacMedic :

Nothing if the wireless is off. So now the Base Station is connected through Ethernet to the router and make sure you are connected to the Airport Base Station wireless, and open Airport Utility

Customer:

OK Now what

Mike the MacMedic :

Double click the Base Station and look for Network Equivalent Password XXXXX

Customer:

It is still greyed out. Only Assist Me, Maunal Setup and Identify are now available.

Customer:

Where is ariport base station wireless

Customer:

OK I think I am connected to ariport base station wireless

Customer:

The choices are create a wireless network, extend a wireless network or off

Mike the MacMedic :

Manual setup and then look at Base Station/Network Equivalent Password XXXXX

Customer:

OK I have it

Mike the MacMedic :

If you have changed the setup back to what you had before it should work after you put the password XXXXX

Customer:

I went through the steps and the printer said it was connected but I tried to print something from the computer and it couldn't find the printer. How do I tell the computer where to find the printer/

Mike the MacMedic :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Customer:

Version 10.5.8

Customer:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

Customer:

Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR2

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to System Preferences/Print & Fax, delete the printer there and add it back again.

Customer:

I deleted it. Now how do i add it back

Mike the MacMedic :

Hit the plus sign. Do you see your printer listed?

Customer:

No, it went away when i deleted it

Mike the MacMedic :

Are you choosing the Default tab when you add?

Customer:

When i hit the + I get a new window. There is nothing in it and it won't let me type anything. The default printer in the first window says last printer used. There is no way to hit that and the + at the same time. If I select it before I hit the + it doesn't do anything.

Mike the MacMedic :

Yes and in the new window if your printer doesn’t show up in the Default tab you are not connected to it. Do you know what the printer‘s IP address is?

Customer:

no

Mike the MacMedic :

Do you know how to get into it’s menu?

Customer:

no

Customer:

you mean on the printer itself? if so, then yes

Mike the MacMedic :

You can find the IP address there.

Customer:

how? I looked

Mike the MacMedic :

Sorry I don’t know that you will have to check your Manual.

Customer:

i'm looking

Mike the MacMedic :

So was the Printer working through the Airport before you made the changes? You haven‘t changed any settings on the Printer, correct?

Customer:

i don't know if the settings are right. i can't find an ip assress

Mike the MacMedic :

There is probably a reset button that will set it to factory defaults. Then you can download the latest drivers and set it up from scratch according to directions. That is about all I can suggest since your computer is connecting to the Airport fine and you can get on the Internet.

Customer:

This getting nowhere. Just forget it. I'll find another way to resolve this.

Mike the MacMedic :

OK good luck