R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

Adobe Elements 4 crashes every time I try to launch it. Im

Customer Question

Adobe Elements 4 crashes every time I try to launch it. I'm running Mac OS 10.4.11 on a G4 iMac (not Intel). I've tried reinstalling Elements, repairing disk permissions, and launching Elements from Bridge - nothing works. It used to run quite happily; nothing has changed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this.

Do you get an error message of any sort when Elements crashes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the swift reply, RA.

Yes, it says:

The application Photoshop Elements quit unexpectedly.
Mac OS X and other appications are not affected.

And then there are three buttons:
Close, Report, Reopen
Well, the next step will be to uninstall Photoshop Elements and see if that fixes it. It is possible, as well, that there are Elements-specific preferences that are causing the problem, so let's try that first.

Drag the Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences/Photoshop Elements Settings folder to the trash and try to start Elements again.

The folder name may not be named "Photoshop Elements Settings" exactly, but may have your version number in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done what you suggest - it didn't help. I also uninstalled and re-installed elements - that didn't help either.
I hate to say it, but you're going to need to erase and reload your system to fix it at this point. Make sure that you have a good backup of your data first (assuming that you have data that you wish to save), then start up off of your OS X install disc and follow the prompts to erase the drive and install OS X.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. Please, can you tell me what the problem is and how the system install will fix it? Everything else is fine - it's only Elements that has the problem.
The problem is (most likely) that some component of OS X that Photoshop Elements depends on is failing (and failing in a way that only effects Photoshop Elements). A simple repair of the data structure on the disk and/or disk permissions is not fixing the problem.

As such, the OS will need to be reinstalled. Upgrade or Repair installations are notorious for not doing this in a satisfactory way (although Apple's Archive Install usually does fine).

When the fresh copy of OS X is installed, you will be able to install Photoshop Elements and it should run without difficulty, because the underlying problem was removed with the fresh load of OS X.

This does seem to be a bit extreme for just getting one program to work, but the actual location of the failing modules and their replacement is far outside what can normally be done in this type of environment.

Best of luck. Let us now if we can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for the explanation. While I was backing up my files, I tried running Elements on a different machine - an Intel iMac running OS 10.5.6. Same result - Elements crashed as soon as I tried to launch it. It looks as if reinstalling the system won't help; have you any more ideas?
Well, you say that it did work at one point.

With that in mind, have you upgraded to a newer version of OS X since then? This can often cause application compatibility problems. Also, it is possible that there is some other piece of software on both your computer and this other Mac that is causing the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The last time I used it was last month, and it was fine then. I'm pretty sure I haven't upgraded the OS since then, although it's a bit hard to remember. I don't think I've installed any new software recently, although I do update things - Java, Safari, QuickTime, iTunes - when it prompts me. The only new things I have installed since the beginning of June are iWork and an app for converting XML files.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your patient help. I have now solved the problem myself, with the help of Google. Can you tell me how to get my money back?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, and for your email. I'm sorry I can't reply directly to the email - your link appears to be broken.

I can't accept your answer because you did not solve my problem. None of your suggestions were appropriate, and in fact I solved it myself - as I said in my last message to you.

Now I would like my money back, as promised by the website.
I'll bump this up to the moderators for consideration.

If there's anything else that we can help you with, I'll be glad to help.

Best of luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much, R A. I'm looking forward to the refund.

Best wishes,

Linda
To you as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I am still looking forward to the refund that I have requested several times since 3 August.