Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi, I am on vacation and I want to enter my time capsule (which

Customer Question

Hi, I am on vacation and I want to enter my time capsule (which I have with me), to restore some files. The time capsule isn't recognizing the wifi at this different house, so I have attached it to my MacBook Pro with an ethernet cord. But I still can't figure out how to open it. Any ideas? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Try just plugging it in with the USB port and disconnect the other.

Mike the MacMedic :

If that doesn't work try it with ethernet again but make sure you have the cable plugged into one of the three on the right LAN not WAN.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yep, that is what I have been doing. But there is nothing on my desktop to indicate that it is connected, and when I click on the time machine icon at the top of the desk top it tells me that there is no time capsule available

Mike the MacMedic :

I don't know what your settings are on the Time Capsule but tell me what your Network settings are on the Laptop.

Mike the MacMedic :

In Ethernet/TCP/IP.

Customer:

Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

Hardware (MAC) Address: 00:22:41:26:cd:49

IPv4:

Configuration Method: DHCP

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

AppleTalk:

Configuration Method: Node

Proxies:

Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to Advanced/TCP/IP what are the numbers?

Customer:

I don't know how to find that

Mike the MacMedic :

Sorry:
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Customer:

version 10.5.8

Customer:

processor 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Mike the MacMedic :

You don't see an Advanced option at the bottom of the Network system preference pane?

Customer:

On the "About This Mac" screen? No.

Mike the MacMedic :

No this is in System Preferences/Network

Customer:

Configure IPv4 using DHCP

Customer:

IPv4 Address 192.168.0.2

Customer:

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Customer:

Router 192.168.0.1

Customer:

Configure IPv6 Automatically

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to System Preferences/Time Machine/Select Disk and see if it shows up there

Customer:

Yeah, I have been doing that - It says "none"

Customer:

Doesn't recognize it wirelessly or when it is attached via ethernet

Mike the MacMedic :

Open the Airport Utility and tell me if it is recognized.

Mike the MacMedic :

Turn off Airport on the laptop also

Customer:

Nope, it isn't. It recognizes it at my house, on my home wifi, but not at this vacation house on this wifi.

Customer:

how do I do that? Under bluetooth in system pref?

Mike the MacMedic :

No go to the Airport "cone" on the top right of the screen to Airport: OFF

Customer:

Um, if I turn the airport off, I lose my internet connection

Mike the MacMedic :

You have to make the Time Capsule work with your wireless there or you have to shut it off so you can connect through ethernet.

Customer:

I have done all of the above repeatedly and no luck.

Mike the MacMedic :

Wow still on vacation, lucky you! You can try resetting the Time Capsule with the reset button and then connect to it in Airport it will have a generic name like Aplle6798769. Then use the Time Machine to Setup Time capsule again.

Customer:

and that won't damage or jeopardize any of the data in the time capsule?

Mike the MacMedic :

Not sure I will opt out and see if any others have ideas. Better wait.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will stay with you until the problem is resolved.
What you need to do is to use the WiFi in the time capsule as opposed to trying to connect to it through another network.
If you do it that way it will work as it did when you were home.
What I mean is plug it in and set it up as though you were at home but you do not need to plug it into the wide area network or the locations ISP that you are at.

In this fashion you will be able to use it as you did before because everything with the exception of being able to connect to the Internet, will be the same.
Give that a try and let me know.