Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hello. I have a new MacBook Pro. Ive had it for about 3 months

Customer Question

Hello. I have a new MacBook Pro. I've had it for about 3 months with no problems. Recently, when I try to shut it down or re-start it. A blue screen comes up with the "working" icon spinning in it's circle.

I've shut it down by pressing and holding the power button until it turns off. When I re-boot the laptop it works perfectly. But then I run into the same issue the next time I try to shut down.

Thanks for your help.

Fred
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Do this first: Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Customer:

Hello, thanks for your help! My version is 10.6.4, Processor is 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory is 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

Mike the MacMedic :

Did you run all the tests?

Customer:

I am verifying the disk now

Mike the MacMedic :

Ok let me know when done.

Customer:

The verify came back okay, Just clicked repair permissions

Customer:

It appears it did a lot of "repairing". It's finished now

Mike the MacMedic :

When you restart what is the longest time you've waiting before forcing a shut down?

Customer:

A few minutes

Mike the MacMedic :

Try waiting for about a half hour if it happens again.

Customer:

Okay...why?

Mike the MacMedic :

The computer may be trying to fix things on its own basically. If you force a shut down many times it can cause the drive to be messed up and the "journalling" format of the drive causes it to try and recover itself.

Customer:

Okay, fair enough. Should I try to shut down now? Do you think the disk utility fixed it?

Mike the MacMedic :

It may have try it.

Customer:

okay...Should I wait a half-hour? Or shut it down to get back to you?

Mike the MacMedic :

If it is still doing it wait for half hour before force shutting it down. If after that the problem is still there try reinstalling this ; http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048

Customer:

Hello, is anybody out there? Per Mike the MacMedic's advice, I gave my Macbook a little over an hour to shut down after performing a disk repair from the disk utilities, but the blue screen with the "working" icon never went away. So once again I shut it down by pressing and holding the power button until the machine turned off. I then pressed the power button again to re-boot, and the laptop is working perfectly. I am downloading the MacOSX Combo now, (again per Mike's advice if his last fix didn't work). What's the problem??? It wont shut-down or re-start without a "force quit" with the power button, yet it works great.

Mike the MacMedic :

Install that and then run Repair Permissions again. If that doesn't work get this: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582/onyx, then come back here

Customer:

okay, thank you.

Mike the MacMedic :

Let me know

Customer:

Still downloading the MacOSX Combo update. I'll be about 40 minutes

Mike the MacMedic :

Ok

Customer:

I'm back. The update was downloaded and installed. When it went to re-start to continue installation it didn't get past the blue screen again. It doesn't appear to be locking up, but it does seem "stuck".

Customer:

What is Onyx???

Mike the MacMedic :

Download it and open it. You will have to do what it says until you get to the Onyx screen. Run the Maintenance/Rebuild, Cleaning (System, User and Fonts) and Automation scripts/

Customer:

Okay, doing it now

Mike the MacMedic :

Let me know if that works.

Customer:

It did not work. I went through everything you said, but it still wouldn't shut down. Any other ideas???

Customer:

Could there be some software running in the background that wont shut down?

Mike the MacMedic :

At this point I would suggest you reinstall your system.

Customer:

Really??? What does that require?

Mike the MacMedic :

I am assuming since it is new 10.6, correct?

Customer:

10.6.4 correct

Mike the MacMedic :

Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok also repair Permissions, then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . This will install a new system and keep all your documents and settings.

Customer:

HI Mike. You're answers haven't helped me at all. I eventually just broke down and called Apple directly, and paid them for technical support. Their fix was much easier. I simply "logged off" then re-started smoothly. When that happened all the disk repair and clean up took effect. I guess it wasn't taking effect by force shutting down and cold starting.

Mike the MacMedic :

Ok