Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

When I opened garageband 09 a couple of days ago for the first

Customer Question

When I opened garageband 09 a couple of days ago for the first time in a long time, it asked for my password, maybe to access my loops, and i wasn't really paying much attention so i clicked cancel. Then, more than half of my loops are unclickable, and the option to add to the loop library in the menu is also unclickable. This is extremely frustrating because now i can't use the program. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

First do this: Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Customer:

version 10.5.8, processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Customer:

Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Mike the MacMedic :

Let me know after you have run the Disk Utility.

Customer:

i ran the disk utility

Mike the MacMedic :

Everything OK?

Customer:

yup

Mike the MacMedic :

Ok reboot and see if your loops are there.

Customer:

they're still not there

Customer:

well, they're there, but they're unclickable

Mike the MacMedic :

Ok try dragging Apple Loops to the Audio window again remember there may be two Apple Loops Folders, one in Macintosh HD / Library / Audio and one in yourusername/library/Audio.

Customer:

i tried both

Customer:

did not work

Customer:

when i opened the apple loops file to see what apple loops were in there, there were only three

Mike the MacMedic :

You looked at both Libraries?

Customer:

yes

Mike the MacMedic :

Well I'm afraid you will have to reinstall Garage Band and also any additional Loops you may have

Customer:

alright

Customer:

i also tried to do that though

Customer:

and it still didn't work

Mike the MacMedic :

It may now that you have repaired permissions but that is about all I can suggest.

Customer:

okay, thanks anyway

Mike the MacMedic :

Good luck

Mike the MacMedic :

Are you sure you are dragging the Loops to the Loop browser? http://www.ehow.com/video_4955257_garage-band-dragging-loop.html

Customer:

it didn't work

Mike the MacMedic :

Still not working, even after a reinstall?