R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin

Im trying to set up a wirless printer. I chose Wireless LAN'

Customer Question

Im trying to set up a wirless printer.
I chose 'Wireless LAN' setup on my printer then it asks "Activate wireless LAN? I chose yes, then I chose "WPS wireless LAN set up" other options are:
manual wireless LAN set up
SES wireless LAN set up
WCN Wirless LAN set up
Is the one I choose correct?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’m a Moderator for JustAnswer!

Thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer! Experts try to answer as quickly as possible, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by other customer, and how many Experts are online.

I’ll try to find an Expert to assist you. Thank you for your patience, and if you receive a satisfactory answer from your Expert, please click the green “Accept” button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done.

Best,

Lindie-Moderator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, thanks
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this, but I need a little more information first:

1. Which make and model of printer are you using?
2. Do you have a wireless router, or are you trying a direct wireless connection to your Mac? (If you have a router, what are its make and model?)
3. Do you know the type of encryption and key (if any) you are using on your existing wireless (if you have it)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm using an Epson workforce 600.
Yes, I have a wireless router. NetGear. Model #WGR614v7
I'm not sure where to find encryption, so i don't know if I have one.

doreen
OK, so Epson indicates that SES is not a well-supported configuration for this printer.

As to your first question, I'm a fan of the "manual wireless LAN" option, but this does require that we know a bit more about your wireless network.

Go to this address (it's the address of your wireless NetGear router):

http://www.routerlogin.net

Enter the user name "admin" (without the quotes) and the password "password" (no quotes) to login.

Click on "Wireless Settings", on the left, and your wireless settings should show up. You're looking to see if your security is "Disabled", "WEP", or "WPA-PSK". Additionally, if you can see what your key or passphrase is, we'll need that. If it is just a series of asterisks, then we'll need to change it.

Let me know what you've got and we can continue from here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got in with my email address and password XXXXX can not find "wirless settings"....
That's pretty odd. Go ahead and try this address then:

http://192.168.1.1

Really, the username should be "admin". You should never need to enter your email address or password. Let me know what happens with this new address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so far have not been able to open that site....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When you go into that first address you gave me...where on that page do you see username / password?
It should ask you for your user name and password XXXXX in a pop-up box, before it lets you do anything else. Regardless, don't use the first address, use the second one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, but still have not been able to get into that site
In the first site, what is the title of the site and what menu options do you see?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says NetGear at the top underneath there are radio buttons for: downloads, registration, customer service, service offerings, discussion forums, support home, netgear home

Then under it says: Support Home Page
Find Your product (has an area to type in model number of product), under this
click here for instructions on locating the Model Number of your netgear device, under this
Ask a Question (space provided to type in question)

want more?
OK, well, we have a couple of options here, and at least one of them will take a long time and a lot of messages back and forth. I'm prepared to help you with this, however you would like to do it, so I need a little direction from you as to how you would like to proceed from here.

1. We can reset your router, which will require that we setup wireless encryption all over again and may require the use of an ethernet cable to attach your computer to your router temporarily while we reconfigure it. We'll setup the wireless encryption and have you write the type and key/passphrase down so that we can get your Epson printer set up correctly.

2. We can find a way into the router, as it sits, and try to get your wireless settings, but this will take some fairly complex instructions that you will need to type, exactly, as I list them to you, so that we can get the information that we need to get this all configured correctly.

3. We could bag the whole wireless printing thing and just attach the Epson printer to the router using an ethernet cable, but this means that you can't move the printer farther from the router than the length of your ethernet cable (they can be purchased in a variety of lengths, up to just over 300 feet).

Let me know which approach you would prefer and we'll proceed from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I ended up calling Epson and got it set up. thanks anyway for ur help
You're most welcome.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just wondering if I would be entitled to refund since my issue was not resolved through Just Answer, do you know?
thanks
I will bump this up to the moderators for consideration.

Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
appreciate it. tks