Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Cant open iphoto - very slow - has whirling pizza icon - only

Customer Question

Cant open iphoto - very slow - has whirling pizza icon - only 181 photos - 151 meg total size - what can i do?
thanks, mitch
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't open iphoto properly. When it eventually opens it shows the thumbnail frames - not the photos - I click on a photo frame and it freezes and I have to re-boot - can't scroll, cant open - nothing - just whirling pizza icon - there is only 181 pics and a total size of 151 meg. It acts like its short of memory but its not that. what other info do u need?
Hmm I would try a rebuild (THIS WILL NOT DELETE PHOTOS) to fix any corrupted data. Quit iPhoto, then relaunch holding the OPTION KEY, select rebuild and let it run through. Update here and I'll follow up.

-r
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Did that and before it offered to rebuild it asked if I wanted to access albums from 2007-2010 or create new one - It would not let me do anything else. I created new one (to try and get things going). Nothing happened. Now when I double click on the iphoto icon it does nothing - wont open. It's as if its just a shell. Also, for some reason Acrobat reader icon now appears in my tool bar and all files on my desktop that are text (reader?) files now have the acrobat pdf icon. What now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, iphoto icon in applications now has a acrobat pdf icon instead of iphoto icon!?!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, not acrobat but applications icon.
I'm not sure what happened here, are you sure you didn't delete anything...You can open iPhoto again holding down OPTION and this time select CHOOSE Library...and select the library located in your Photo's folder...this should get you back to your original folder. Next the rebuild option is still what we are looking for...your version of iPhoto may act differently...so make sure it's quit and this time launch it holding down COMMAND AND OPTION ... this should give you the correct rebuild. So step 1, launch it holding option and select CHOOSE, then find your old library which is in your Pictures folder...it will be called iPhoto Library ... step 2... quit iPhoto and relaunch it holding down COMMAND AND OPTION...and select rebuild..don't worry I'm still here to help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, can't open iphoto from icon, but before this all happened I backed it up in mybook - only problem is I can open it in mybook but the it says 'no photos' at bottom of screen (whether i go into last roll or 12 months) but info is telling me there is 150meg of files in it. It won't let me drag onto desktop saying 'the operation could not be completed because I have insufficient priveledges'? What can i do next?
thanks.
Can you elaborate more, i tried to read your response several times but can't make sense of it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i double click on iphoto icon and nothing happens - won't open. I saved iphoto on external hd b4 all this happened. Won't open from mybook either. Can't drag from Mybook onto desktop either - when i try this it says 'the operation could not be completed because I have insufficient priveledges'. The iphoto icon appears to be a 'shell' - empty. Yet when i get info on it - it says it has 150 meg of photos on it. That is it basically. Can't open iphoto to do what u said.
thanks
It sounds like iPhoto was inadvertently deleted or tampered with. At this point I would re-install iPhoto, do you have your system discs?