Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

I cant view certain webpages on my mac. I keep trying to

Customer Question

I can't view certain webpages on my mac. I keep trying to open up my amazon account and it blocks the images. It does this on some other websites too, and I can't figure out how to display the blocked content. I'm a recent pc to mac convert!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tom :

If you are using Safari, Click on Safari in the top left and choose Empty Cache.

Tom :

Quit Safari and start it again. If this doesn't fix the issue. The next step would be to download flash player since Target uses Flash. You can download it here. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Customer:

okay, when I quit safari and start it again, how do I contact you if I have more questions?

Tom :

Bookmark this page to come back to it

Customer:

no dice, i'll try the flash player

Tom :

ok

Customer:

still nothing. It says that the website's certificate is invalid, but even though I accept it, the website won't display the blocked content

Customer:

On other websites it will display the content. This just started less than a week ago

Customer:

well, Target.com works, but I still can't view my Amazon account

Tom :

In the top right of your computer is the clock. Make sure the date and time is right since certificates look at this.

Customer:

yup, both are correct.

Tom :

Click on Safari in the top left and Choose Preferences. Click on Security. Is Enable plugins, Java and javascript checked?

Customer:

yes

Tom :

What is the settings for accept cookies?

Customer:

"Only from sites I visit".

Tom :

Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of your dock

Customer:

okay

Tom :

Click on Go at the very top and Utilities. Open Keychain Access. Click on Keychain Access and then keychain first aid. Type your password XXXXX click on start.

Customer:

do i need to click on verify or repair?

Tom :

Click on repair

Customer:

okay

Tom :

Let me know if it repairs anything

Customer:

Checking keychain configuration for michellecrowe (user ID=501)

Home directory is /Users/michellecrowe

Checked login keychain

Checked default keychain

Checked keychain search list

Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

Checked contents of /var/db/com.symantec/Symantec.keychain

No problems found

Customer:

I know that Amazon uses Verisign, and I went in and manually "trusted" the certificate, and still nothing happened

Tom :

What other websites other then Amazon does this happen?

Customer:

www.audible.com

Customer:

I tried it again after I installed flash player and it still didn't work

Customer:

when I click on the little lock in the upper right hand corner of the browser screen it says "this certificate is not yet verified". Even when I verify it through keychain the site still doesn't display the images

Customer:

it's 10.6.4

Tom :

It's a large download but I would reinstall 10.6.4 to fix the corrupted certificates that you have. It is available here. http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048

Tom :

You can also use firefox as an alternative for now. www.firefox.com

Customer:

Well, I tried to install the security update at the apple support link you gave me, but it says that this volume doesn't meet the requirements for the system update

Customer:

It doesn't work in Firefox either. Do you think it could be a virus?

Customer:

I don't. I'm out of town right now

Customer:

I just don't understand why it keeps telling me that it can't verify the website, and that it could be someone else impersonating that website. That's what made me think it was a virus

Customer:

you, Tom, are a golden god

Customer:

I don't know why it reverted back after I fixed it the first time. I should have double checked it when you asked about it, but the calendar said the 1st and the time was right. Turns out it was set to Feb 1st