Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a feeling about this question but I gotta try anyway.

I have a feeling about this question but I gotta try anyway. Is there by some small miracle away of “locking” an Album so that when I crop the photos in the Album, it wont change the original in Events? I will refrain from any emotional commentary about this :)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Are you talking about iPhoto?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Your photos original is still saved. If you select the cropped picture you can always go to Photo/Revert to Original. You can also go to Duplicate if you would rather do it that way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh, but not good (so not good). My original scans where brought over to iPhone with six, seven, four (or however many) photos on a single scan. I didn’t know of my scanners ability to separate scanned photos (from a single scan of multiples) yet. And I’m talking about 7,000 photos. My first step from events after making duplicates of six (or however many) depending on how many photos were on the scan, was to put them into various albums “family, friends, etc.” of course having duplicates from one album to another, you follow. I now wanted to put them all on a digital picture frame at my moms and they need to be 4x6. I made an album called frame and took all the photos from the “other” albums to load it. I then started to crop - after about a thousand I realized iPhoto was cropping the original in events and if I go back to “revert to original” it will go back to “that” original scan of however many OR to when I had to rotate it after cropping - from that original of however many, follow? It’s now kinda like a big mess... Hence, I do not wanna go back to original - I need to be able to lock out “Events” and never touch them and be able to do what ever I want in Albums (so logical I can’t even begin to explain) again I’m messing with 7,000 photos. I guess the answer is no....
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If you want to do that you will have to duplicate them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess that’s the only way but I don’t like it - if I don’t bring them immediately over to my album while still highlighted, I’ll need to go through thousands of photos surgically picking out the duplicates again - AND if I wanna do some other project with Batches of photos I’ll need to go surgically selecting them from the Event. Multiply that over and over depending on how man different projects you do. The Event folder will be a disaster... Not a good work around - however if you can’t lock out an Album or Event, then there is no other choice. I would rather take them off iPhoto and do things to them “by far”. It’s a shame though - because you can really crop supper fast on iPhoto compared to anything else out there that I know of. I guess instead of Albums, we need to think of multiple iPhoto applications. Like iPhoto Buddy (which I have) works like a charm, I just whish I didn’t have to be the Guinea Pig.... So in closing - I guess there is no way of locking an album or event, from being altered by it’s duplicated twin?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
there is no way to lock that I know of.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had a feeling - I will refrain from an emotional commentary about this oversight, ending rather, with a suggestion to anyone reading this - that if they would like; it would be a good idea to recommend to Apple, the ability to lock out an Album or Event from having it be altered by any of it’s duplicates, elsewhere. Thanks :)