Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

It appears that my powerbook G4 wont start up. Ive tried

It appears that my powerbook G4 won't start up. I've tried rebooting using several different methods, i.e. put in the install disk, hold the option key down while rebooting, rebooting while holding down shift command PR, etc.... Anyway, I'm fairly confident that it's "finished." While it's not my main computer, my daughter wants to get her music off of there. Is this something I can do myself by plugging it in to my other computer or my external drive?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

You can try restarting it with the T key down until you see the Firewire logo on the screen. You can then connect a firewire cable between it and another Mac and the drive will appear on the desktop. You can copy off what you need.

Customer:

Will I see that logo on my screen (I have a desktop imac) or will I see it on the powerbook?

Customer:

Can I do it with a usb cable instead. The firewire cable I have on hand has a connection that doesn't work with my computer.

Mike the MacMedic :

No it has to be Firewire.

Customer:

OK, I found my current firewire cable, so I'm good

Customer:

So once again, will I see that firewire logo on my screen?

Mike the MacMedic :

you will see the Firewire logo on the laptop.

Customer:

OMG thanks! it worked and now I can see the Powerbook hard drive on my computer. I will just grab the few things I need. Have a great day!

Mike the MacMedic :

Great