Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Booting up from external drive. Ive got everything to the

Customer Question

Booting up from external drive. I've got everything to the point where i've got the subscreen to appear from booting up normally pressing the option key on the keyboard. I have two icons that appear (one which as a circular arrow and another which has a arrow pointing offscreen to the right) and I assume it's' the later of the two but can't seem how to execute it. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Select the drive you want to boot from and hit Enter.

Customer:

IF IT WERE THAT EASY I WOULDN'T BE ASKING. HOW DO YOU SELECT WHICH ICON?

Mike the MacMedic :

With the mouse.

Customer:

WITH THE MOUSE OR WHAT? I ON A MAC TOP AND THE KEYBOARD CONNECTED TO IT DOESN'T WORK SO i GOT A USB ONE (VERSUS WIRELESS AS SOM EONE ELSE SUGGESTED) AND THE MOUSE IS WIRELESS AND ONLY SPPAERS A WATCH WITH NO POINTER. I'VE TRIED HOOVERING OVER ICON AND HAVE HIT ENTER AND NOTHING.

Mike the MacMedic :

OK you never said that. I think you may need a wired mouse to make it work. Do you have one?

Customer:

I DONT THINK SO A USB MOUSE?

Mike the MacMedic :

Yes

Customer:

ILL DO A QUICK CHECK AROUND BUT IT'S DOUBTFUL. anYTHING I SHOULD KNOW IN CASE I DON'T HAVE A WIRED MOUSE AS I WILL PROBABLY GO TO THE STORE LATER AND TRY THIS AGAIN AND DONN'T' EXPECT YOU TO WAIT?

Mike the MacMedic :

Just bookmark this page or go to the link in the email you get.

Mike the MacMedic :

If you can boot without the option key just go to System Preferences/Startup Disk and you can change it there.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANKS BUT IT'LL ONLY GO TO THIS PAGE IF i OPTION ON START UP. tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP THOUGHT
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK good luck.