Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Having trouble uninstalling a program. Cant find it on the

Customer Question

Having trouble uninstalling a program. Can't find it on the hard drive but the new program (old one was defective) says it can't install because old one is still there.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

What program are you talking about?

Customer:

Rosetta Stone

Mike the MacMedic :

OK first do this: Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Customer:

MAC OS X, version 10.5.8 Processor: 2 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, Memory 1 GB 667 HMHz DDR2 5DRAM

Mike the MacMedic :

Verify Disk is OK and Repair Permissions?

Customer:

Disk is OK,waiting for repair permissions

Mike the MacMedic :

Let me know

Customer:

Permission repair complete

Mike the MacMedic :

Try this to delete the app and files and then try to reinstall. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/appdelete.html

Customer:

Getting the same message when I tried to reinstall

Customer:

Can't install because a newer version exists

Mike the MacMedic :

Did you use AppDelete?

Customer:

Not sure how. It says drag items onto appdelete icon. What do I drag?

Mike the MacMedic :

The application but I guess you already trashed it.

Customer:

Now what

Mike the MacMedic :

This is from the Manual: 1.3.1 Uninstalling the Program Windows Users have three options for uninstalling the program:
Option 1: Click the Uninstall button in the Autorun screen when the Application CD is inserted.
Option 2:
• Click on Start in the Windows task bar. • Select Programs. • Select Rosetta Stone. • Click on Uninstall Rosetta Stone.
Option 3:
• Click on Start in the Windows task bar. • Select Settings. • Click on Control Panel. • Double-click on Add/Remove Programs. • Select the Rosetta Stone Program Folder. • Click Remove.
Mac OS Users:
Simply drag the Rosetta Stone folder into the trash. Make sure to throw away any aliases you may have created.

Mike the MacMedic :

Was there a folder or just an app you deleted?

Customer:

Sorry to be dumb but where would I find the folder

Mike the MacMedic :

In Applications

Customer:

Not finding anything anywhere that says rosetta Stone, RS or anything like that

Mike the MacMedic :

Well I‘m afraid you will have to contact Rosetta Stone support. Sorry.

Customer:

Thanks for trying

Mike the MacMedic :

Good luck

Customer:

I did not receive a solution from you but did get one from Rosetta Stone. They helped me find some remnants of the program that were still in the computer. Did not accept for this reason.

Mike the MacMedic :

ok