Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Which programs does mac support to export & import my address

Which programs does mac support to export & import my address book?

I have mistakenly entered a lengthy address book on my email address book
with earthlink.net. This cannot be printed out. I need to transfer this
information to a database in microsoft so that I can edit it and print
out a hard copy.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

You need to export your contacts from Earthlink to a .cvs file.

Customer:

will you give me explicit (step by step) instructions on how to export to .cvs file.

Customer:

continuing with reply: is cvs file and addresss?

Mike the MacMedic :

Export Address Book: Web Mail can export your list of contacts to a "comma separated value" (CSV) file that can be read by many other applications, such as Microsoft Excel. To export your address book, click the Export Address Book link, then save the file to your desktop.

Mike the MacMedic :

I don‘t have an Earthlink account so I can’t show you exactly where that is. Do you see it?

Customer:

Under services in address book I find in BOLD, meaning available:

Customer:

chinese text converter, disk utility, finder, font book, grab, Import Image, mail, skype, speech, text edit

Customer:

I tried Import impage: it said "No Image Capture Device"

Customer:

in "grey text" ie not available probably:

Customer:

open URL, Search with Google, Send file to Blue Tooth Device

Customer:

I'm do not think I have Blue Tooth. What do you suggest?

Mike the MacMedic :

Where are your contacts stored on Earthlink’s webmail page or in Address Book on your Mac?

Customer:

contacts are stored on Earthlink's webmail page (not sure what you mean -- the address book that is pictured by the "a" icon

Customer:

on the dock. To get to the address book I click on that icon. Email addresses are entered into this place by clicking on the

Customer:

senders email, a window opens with options one of which is "add to address book"

Customer:

I have added information, addresses, phone numbers, notes to these entries in the address book

Customer:

all that information is what I want to save and transfer to Microsoft word (or Excel).

Mike the MacMedic :

So all your contacts are listed properly in Address Book?

Customer:

Not quite yet. I just discovered that I must remove the commas between first and last names.

Customer:

Should this be done before transfer, or can it be done later in data base. So hope transfer is possible!

Mike the MacMedic :

What Microsoft program exactly do you want to export to?

Mike the MacMedic :

If all you want to do is print them you can do that from Address book.

Customer:

I want to export to Microsoft Word.

Customer:

No, I cannot print from the earthlink address book, that is why I've contacted you

Customer:

From Earthlink Address Book to Microsoft Word to enter information into a data base.

Mike the MacMedic :

We are not understanding each other. I asked if you had your contacts in Address Book on the Mac. Go to Applications/Address Book. Are your contacts there?

Customer:

Yes. I have gone to Applications, clicked Address Book, and brought up the double columns.

Customer:

This is the address book.

Mike the MacMedic :

OK so it is not the Address Book on Earthlink‘s site? All your contacts are there in the Apple Address Book application?

Customer:

I guess they must be. I do not understand. What next?

Mike the MacMedic :

If you want to print it select any contact and hit Command/A to select all. Then go to File/Print and choose what fields you want to print. Now you want to export this and bring it into Word, correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

When I go to file/print the print option is grey, does not function. That is why I've contacted you.

Customer:

There are so fields in print/file.

Mike the MacMedic :

Did you select all the contacts?

Customer:

well, I just hit print. It says " not matching cards ".

Customer:

yes, I selected all the contacts. I'll try once again. hold on. I've repeated

Customer:

this and get same response. I have just noticed that on the File

Mike the MacMedic :

OK select all contacts again and go to File/Export/Export Group vCard and save. Then go here to convert to .csv, then you can open with Excel or Word.

Customer:

column there is an Import and an Export possible.

Customer:

going ahead with above

Customer:

when I clicked vCard, what appeared on left were my documents, not my address book.

Customer:

I went ahead a hit save. I will now repeat to see if there is a different result

Mike the MacMedic :

What documents? There are no “documents” in Address Book?

Customer:

This time, instead of vCard I clicked address archive which appeared below vCard

Customer:

I have saved this.

Mike the MacMedic :

You can’t convert that it has to be vCard.

Customer:

Should I go ahead to the here to convert to .csv? mac asks me if I want to leave the page we are on.

Customer:

I hesitate and am asking you.

Mike the MacMedic :

Just book mark the page.

Customer:

well, just read you saying it has to be a vCard. I'm stuck

Mike the MacMedic :

I don‘t understand, just export to vCard and ignore what you see on the left

Customer:

ok

Customer:

now i've saved the vCard box. Next step please.

Mike the MacMedic :

Go to that webpage and convert.

Customer:

sorry mike, I do not under stand what "that webpage" is nor what is "convert"

Mike the MacMedic :

From earlier: OK select all contacts again and go to File/Export/Export Group vCard and save. Then go here to convert to .csv, then you can open with Excel or Word. Click on Here.

Customer:

Clicked on Here. The file being converted was my documenst. I selected Address book w/date on it and then convert.

Customer:

Message appeared: "could not parse vCard. Either it is empty or of a format not supported".

Customer:

trying again

Mike the MacMedic :

Choose csv from format options.

Customer:

I've chosen csv. I've then entered Address Book 2010-8-01.abbu.vcf as instructed. This is a stone wall as computer

Customer:

will not save it with the vcf, only the abbu. When I am working with the option of cvs, there is no way to

Customer:

get out of the above except to cancel; otherwise the screen will not change.

Customer:

No way forward?

Customer:

Perhaps I should reformat the address book . . . since the one time I seemed to get through the "could nto

Customer:

parse vCard message appeared.

Mike the MacMedic :

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your Exported vCard file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

Mike the MacMedic :

Are you sure you have all the contacts selected like this?

Full Size Image

Customer:

yes

Mike the MacMedic :

OK let me know when uploaded.

Customer:

well, I took the contact selected as directed above (and thought I'd done that several times before).

Customer:

I'll skip the pounding about. Now, as I've converted, the Microsoft Word says I have three downloads of

Customer:

the address book as sent with the . . . vcf added . . .

Customer:

I do not know how to pull up the downloads. I'm a truly dull case.

Mike the MacMedic :

When you are in to the site choose Upload.

Full Size Image

Customer:

I am in word. Services does not have an upload. Perhaps I do not understand the word site.

Mike the MacMedic :

We are not communicating I will opt out and let other experts help you.

Customer:

Thank you Mike. I must leave the computer. I will pay, but so not have problem solved.

Mike the MacMedic :

Thanks you good luck

Customer:

I now need to know how to import into Microsoft word.

Customer:

I also need to know whether you charge more than the fee I have

Customer:

promised. This is the first time I've used a service.

Mike the MacMedic :

So you have the exported vCard file?

Customer:

When I go to Microsoft Word and click Documents, I now have a site named vCards.

Customer:

Clicking on this, nothing happens. On 8/1 I got lost in a process of trying to

Customer:

allow import into Word. I had finally realized I could click into your Full Size Image

Customer:

but I could not find this in my Word.

Customer:

I could find no way to bring up Web File Manager.

Mike the MacMedic :

Use this to convert to whatever format you want: http://labs.brotherli.ch/vcfconvert/

Customer:

I have recorded the http above and will try that out.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.