Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am transferring my hardrive on my desktop onto my laptop

I am transferring my hardrive on my desktop onto my laptop via firewire. I rebooted the desktop holding down the "T" key and can now see my desktop hardrive on my laptop...but what do I do now? I seem to be missing a step...last time I did this all my files, applications etc., transferred automatically onto my laptop. How do I make that happen again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You need to go to Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app and open that. Follow the prompts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app on the hardrive or on the laptop?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
On the laptop with the dresktop drive mounted on its desktop.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, I did that...it's asking for a admin password XXXXX won't take it...is it maybe a problem that the admin password XXXXX both the hardrive and the laptop are the same?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No are you sure they are the same?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am pretty sure...how would I check?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Try to install acrobat or some other program to see if the password XXXXX are using is correct on both machines.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks!