Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

my phone will not restore via iTunes due to unknown error.

Customer Question

my phone will not restore via iTunes due to unknown error 1611. I just recieved my phone a few weeks ago and just activated it Friday. I do not know what to do. It is blinking on and off and when put into recovery mode iTunes says it cannot restore.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Try turning the iPhone off by holding the Sleep button on the top until you see Slide to Switch Off. Leave it off for about 5 minutes then turn it back on.

Customer:

my phone will not show the "slide to power off" it just shows the apple logo and then the plug into iTunes screen only

Mike the MacMedic :

Hold down the Top button and the Menu button together until it restarts.

Customer:

am I to have it plugged into my computer?

Mike the MacMedic :

No

Customer:

okay, I am doing that right now. Thanks

Customer:

Am I to hold the top and home button for 5 mintues if not my screen stays black

Mike the MacMedic :

Let me know after.

Customer:

let you know after 5 mins

Mike the MacMedic :

Not sure what you mean the screen should go black and then you should see the Apple logo and you can let go.

Customer:

the logo is not appearing. It did when I had the phone plugged into my computer...

Mike the MacMedic :

What is it doing?

Customer:

Nothing. The screen is black, when the phone is plugged into the wall it blinks on and off allowing you only to make emergency calls. Periodically it show the plug into iTunes screen, but since you told me to unplug it it has done nothing

Mike the MacMedic :

Is the cord unplugged from the iPhone?

Customer:

yes.

Mike the MacMedic :

Are you sure you are holding in the right buttons? Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Customer:

nothing. blank, black screen

Mike the MacMedic :

Try plugging it into the charger not the computer and try it again.

Customer:

okie doke here goes

Customer:

I did it and the plug into iTune screen appears

Mike the MacMedic :

OK let it charge for about a half hour then try to restore it with iTunes again.

Customer:

I charged it last night hoping it would help but it hasnt

Mike the MacMedic :

Maybe it is not charging that would explain the blank screen. You may need to take it to the Apple store.

Customer:

There isnt one around here. I may have to mail it to them. Thanks anyway

Mike the MacMedic :

Try restarting your computer too.

Customer:

will do

Mike the MacMedic :

Good luck