iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

I am without a user name and password.

Customer Question

I am without a user name and password.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Please explain more. Is this for your computer? or a website?

If this is for your computer what type of computer do you have?

What OS? Tiger, Leopard
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ANSWER......TIGER
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Resetting OSX Password XXXXX account password XXXXX OSX install DVD

Hi ,

You will need the OSX install DVD to reset your password XXXXX

Resetting the Password

To reset a Mac OS X account password, startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc or a Mac OS X Install disc.

It is best to use the same disc from which OS X was installed.

Do not use a disc with a version of OS X other than the one installed on the computer or it may not work.

For example, if you reset a password XXXXX a computer running Mac OS X 10.3 with an OS X 10.4 disc, you will not be able to log into the account.

Insert the OSX install disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound , boot to the OSX install DVD.

It takes longer to startup from a CD or DVD. The disc will automatically start the OS X installer but you do not need to reinstall OS X.

If you are prompted to select a language and you do not see the top screen menu bar options , click the right arrow button to proceed to the next step.

-

The method of resetting passwords varies slightly depending on the version of OSX on the installation disc.

Mac OS X 10.2.x through 10.3.x:
Select Reset Password XXXXX the Installer menu.

Mac OS X 10.4.x and 10.5.x on :
Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Utilities menu.

-

1 Select the hard drive (i.e. Macintosh HD) at the top of the window.

2 Select the user account you wish to reset.
Important: Do not select "System Administrator(root).
This is a reference to the root user.
Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

3 Enter a password XXXXX the two boxes.
In Mac OS X 10.4 on , you can also include a password XXXXX

4 Click the Save button.

5 Click OK on the message confirming the password XXXXX been reset.

6 Close the password XXXXX utility, select Quit Reset Password XXXXX the Reset Password XXXXX

7 Restart the computer by choosing Quit Installer from the Installer menu and click Restart or Quit when prompted.

-

Resetting the Keychain if needed.

Resetting an account password XXXXX not change the Keychain password.

For security reasons, there is no way to reset a forgotten Keychain password XXXXX the contents of the keychain cannot be recovered.

The Keychain must be deleted so a new one can be created and used.

From the Finder, click on the Go menu and select Home.

In the window that appears, open the Library folder and drag the Keychains folder to the trash.

Restart the computer or log out and log back in.
A new keychain will be created using the current account password.

Please see more detail on keychains here :-
http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=2197

I hope this helps .

Thanks .